• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back from vacation!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
w00t! almost No problems with the crunchers! According to my sister (who stayed at the house), there was a power surge and some power outages about 3 days ago, so my AMD turned off and the P4 for some reason never continued crunching even though my sis turned it back on.

86WUs left in the cache of 210... Not too bad :D

Vacation was pretty good. LOTS of driving, and too much stopping for my taste :rolleyes: Though this was one of the weridest trips to Missouri I've ever had...
- Encountered construction on every highway outside of Oregon
- Drove right through severe thunderstorms in South Dakota
- Ended up taking cover in a gas station because of a tornado warning (w00t!)
- Saw more rain than I can immagine in Saint Louis
- Had the car's radiator replaced
- Got stranded 70 miles out of Los Vegas (something to do with the ignition)

More weird stuff on this trip than any other I've been on :D

Also, I visited the VLA (Very Large Array) on the way back. THAT was cool! They're dishes were way out, so I didn't get any pics of all of them at once, but it was still awesome to watch those things all turn at once to a new part of the sky. I'd definatly recommend it to anybody if they're gonna be in New Mexico any time soon :)

Now I just gotta change my sig...
JigPu

welcome back, sounds like a good trip. How did you end up near Vegas on a trip to Missouri?

post a pic. of the dishes if you've got one

Sounds like a fund trip. I'd like to see the pics if you can post them.

As to how we ended up by Vegas.... :D
On the way out, we had a northern route going through Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, ect. On the way back from there, we took a southern route through Oklahoma, New Mexico, Nevada, ect.

Here's the best 8 pics I got of the dishes (my sister's BF forced me to fill an entire 32MB card of pics though :D). They were spaced so far apart (I think at it's maximum size of 29km across) that I really didn't get too many cool group shots. Need two posts to get them all to fit.

Sign telling you about the VLA:
VLA1.jpg

Group picture with dishes heading clear off into the horizon:
VLA2.jpg

Looking straight down one of the 3 arms of the VLA:
VLA3.jpg

A nice shot of 2 dishes IMO:
VLA4.jpg

JigPu

Continued...

A single dish:
VLA5.jpg

Closeup of the workings of the drive mechanisms:
VLA6.jpg

One of them in the antenna repair building:
VLA7.jpg

The computers they use to bring all the data from each dish together into one image:
VLA8.jpg

JigPu

Very cool pics - thanks for posting. I'll have to put them on my list next time I'm out that way.

Back