• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

difference b/t 64mb and 128mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

is there a great difference between 64mb and 128mb ram? ive read that some 64mbs are better than 128mbs, but i would imagine that there would be a defining factor that would be in favor of 128.... does anyone know it?

A while ago, 64mb cards used faster ram chips which made it better for o/c'ing but now you can find 128mb cards with just as fast ram chips so this arguement isn't valid anymore.

Games benefit from the larger 128mb cards when you start using higher res (1024x768 or higher)

-Bobby

sandman001 said:
I'm geussing this is about the ti 4200?

anyway, go for 128mb.

LOL that's what I ASSumed :D

128mb is definitely worth the extra few bucks.

-Bobby

I could definately notice a difference when i went from a GF4 MX 420 64 meg to a GF4 MX440 128 DDR.

To me, it seemed the 128 ddr card was twice as fast than the previous card. This wasn't done with benchmarks, but just my observations from playing a game. The more ram, the more your card does the work and leaves your system doing it's thing.

I will definately not buy a card without 128 mb from here out, and it seems to be standard now on most the newer cards anyhow. 256 will be standard by next year :) if not sooner!

More memmory is better for higher resolutions and for AA and Ansio. Ever wonder why the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB version scores the same as the 256MB version in 1024X768 with no AA? And wonder why the 256 runs faster in 1600X1280 with 4X AA? The extra memmory comes in handy when you crank up the res and AA and Ansio. Nowadays the 64MB video cards are becoming obsolete becuase ppl want higher resolutions and higher levels of AA and Ansio.
BTW I wouldn't recommend the MXs. I would recommend a Ti version instead. The MX don't have all the shaders Ti's have. The Ti's are also faster.

Back