• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New router..I need some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I just ordered a router and would like to how to set it up before it arrives.
I read the sticky above but it was not clear for me.

Currently I have 2 computers, a hub and DSL connection.
At present my ISP prefers that the 2nd computer connects to the internet thru 1st computer and not directly thru the hub as I used to do.

When the router arrives where do I start? is it as simple as swapping the hub for the router? Or is there going to be some configuration needed. Will this be a 1, 2 or 3 beer process?:) :beer:

You will want to replace the hub with the router.

The router will have a special port on it (usually labelled WAN or Internet), specifically for your internet connection. You connect the modem to that port, and the computers to the normal ports.

Then you will probably need to do a bit of configuring, depending on your ISP and if they're cable/dsl/etc.

Most router manufacturers will allow you to download the manual for the routers, and view it in a PDF. I would check the manufacturer's site and take a look at the manual, that will give you a better idea of what you have to do in the configuration.

Thanks Su ROOT,
I assume that Win XP(pro) will handle the majority of configuration w/ network wizard?
Why exactly is a router better than a hub? Does it improve file sharing, internet connection? I am pretty green in the networking department...many hours running back and forth between 2 computers setting em up...and just a little bit of frustration:p

No, the networking wizard will not configure your router. Usually, the router is configured through a webpage. You'll have to check your manual, but it's usually something like http://192.168.1.1 that you type into your browser.

A router is better than a hub because:
-It 'switches' packets - bandwidth on the local LAN is more efficiently used than a hub. (because the Switch component is smarter than a Hub).
-It 'routes' packets - it's smart enough to create a local LAN network, and be able to figure out which traffic is meant for the Internet, and which traffic is meant for the local network. (On your hub setup, your local LAN was actually part of the internet. This segments your network with a firewall for security.)

Go take a look at the manual for your router, it'll fill you in on more of it's features, what they do for you, and where you would go to configure them.

Back