• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Car Speakers to Sound card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

Sorry if it's been asked before, but the search function keeps timing out on me, and I didn't see anything in the last 5 pages of history.

How would I go about hooking up car speakers to a computer sound card? I assume there must be some type of adapter out there? Don't know much about sound/speakers/etc so I don't know what I'm looking for. Anyone give me a name of what it is I'd need? A picuter? A website? Radioshack and such would prolly carry something of the like?

- Thanks

you would have to wire it through a stereo or home theatre amp/receiver. as long as it has left and right you should be good. the speakers may not sound right. bass might be off because you have a much larger space to compress.

stereo or home theatre amp/receiver

These just have the metal posts/clamps that the wires from the spaeakers would conenct to, right?

You say it might not sound good? I was thinking of hiding a comp in my car, and since it was in there, it might as well be hooked into the stereo system. Any other ways to do it?

The best way to do it would be to run the output of the soundcard (headphone sized plug) to a standard car speaker amp and then the amp will power the speakers. If that's not an option you could look for a fm modulator and broadcast the sound to an FM radio station. There are two types of these:

Cheap and crappy: These are the $20 ones in Bestbuy or walmart. They just use AA bateries or plu into the lighter jack and broadcast that way. These are really low power and are prone to interference and you have to find and empty station to use them one.

Good and sorta pricey: These are what you have when you hook a cd changer up to an older stero. They hook into the car stero antena jack and the car antenna hooks into them. When they are turn on they block the car antenna from teh radio so you only get the signal from the transmitter. These work very well and you should be able to find one for $50 or so. They usually aren't on the shelves though. You might have luck at a car audio shop thoguh. I'm looking into one for my car to use my mp3 player with the current stero.

Puting a computer in your car has been done tons. It's really easy if you have a micro or mini atx mobo. Those will fit anywhere. I'd really love to have one in my car to play mp3s.

first of all I sugest you picking up a FM converter, They are general used when people hook up a CD changer to a car where the radio doesnt have lin-in, all you do is tune your radio to a preset station.
anyway, pick up one of those, Then on lineout/speaker out plug it into the converter and then follow the converters instructions for installation. Also I assume you already have a Power inverter for your system in your car?
also if you have big speakers and a box make sure you keep your system away from them and any other Magnetic feilds,
Also you will end up needing to purchase a LCD and mount it somewhere conveint so you can use it.
anyway, that should be it.
any other questions?
-L_P

Back