• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9600 PRO (256MB version) or Nvidia 5600FX (256MB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sloan

So, which should I pick up. The Radeon 9600 PRO or the NVIDiA 5600FX PRO. Both have 256MB RAM and are in the same price range, so I am totally conflicted with what I want. I have always went with NVIDIA in the past due to driver issues with the ATI cards but now I know that is not really a problem. So, which should it be guys??

the Radeon 9500 non pro 'L' shaped 128mb can be softmodded into a Radeon 9700 non pro. but this takes luck, but to maximize your chances you have to get the card i listed above. This can be done because the r9500np and r9700np both have the same core chip, the RV300, so when or if you softmod it your memory interface will change to 256bit, and when u softmod it this DOES NO INCLUDE OVERCLOCKING AT ALL, so then you OC it and you'll probably have a card similar to a r9700 pro!!!

Not the 9600 that's mostly out for sale, though. Most 9600pros can't reach 500.

The FX5600 Ultra is a decent card, but the vanilla 5600 is very underclocked, thus I wouldn't reccommend it. A 9500np (provided it's a 256-bit card), 9600pro, 9500pro, heck, probably even a ti4200, could beat it easily.

the 9600 pro's are mad overclockable but even at high clocks they won't out perform a 9500pro. if you can find a 9500pro for a comparable price, you'll prolly have to spend more because everyone knows they're better, than i'd go that route. plus 9500pro's OC well also.

from what i've gathered the new Nvidia line isn't worth anything unless you spend over $250 and even then will be outperformed by ATI until you hit the 5900's which are dead on with radeon 9800's.

Agreed, I am going to go for a 9700 I think. However, what exactly is the difference between the PRO version and the non-pro??
If it is clock speed can the non-pro be pushed up to the PRO settings?

Yes , most people have been able to get the 9700 to Pro speeds and a little beyond but don't expect it to oc as well as the Pros will . All in all it is a very good deal .

There should be good bargains on Ebay .

Clockspeeds. In some cases, 9700 non-pros use slower RAM - mostly 3.3ns (Infineons? Not sure). Anyway, if you can find one with 2.8ns RAM you'll be able to crank it up to 9700 Pro speeds easily.

One with 2.8 ns ram will oc just as well as a Pro , in fact you should be able to flash it with a pro's bios . But the 3.3 cards are still good and as I said I don't recall ever hearing someone complain that they couldn't get to Pro speeds .

Do I HAVE to flash the non-pro's bios to overclock it? I am unclear on this, some things I have read says you have to flsh the bios to o/c the card at all some say not.

Back