• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp in a car? PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

If I were to install a comp into my car, what would I need to do to power it up?

I'm sure someone has done this before, but if ya try searchign for car ya get every thread ever made, or close to it :/

- Thanks

Assuming that the negative voltage lines aren't used, you could make a power supply for +12, +5 and +3.3.

Normally, you need a voltage higher than 12v, to supply a steady 12v, but the battery ought to be able to supply a steady ~14v.

You might be able to adapt a PSU, by hooking up the battery passed the AC regulation section.

This will be a lot easier, once cars are converted to the new voltage specs: 48 Vdc.

An alternative would be to use inverters, that convert 12 vdc to 125 Vac, but that'll be a big and expensive unit, and the installation won't be easy. It's also kinda redundant to convert DC to AC, only to have it converted back to DC.

Back