• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$200 Gaming Comp. Upgrade Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dracknem

I am currently running games such as Battlefield 1942, War III, CS, and hopefully UT 2003 soon. I am going to be getting a $200 upgrade sometime this summer, or at least before X-mas and I was looking for input on what I should upgrade.

-Athlon 1800+ T-bred A with Thermalright SK-6+
-256mb Crucial PC-2700 RAM
-MSI Ti-4200 8x with 128 mb RAM
-MSI KT3 Ultra 2 Mobo (Can run up to 2400+ or 2600+, I forget which)

I'm probably going to get another stick of 256mb first, but I was wondering what else I should get. I haven't OC'd my computer yet, but I probably will push the chip up a little soon, what do you guys think would be a fair distance or temp. I shouldn't go above? I have 5 fans.

I just want opinions on what would make this PC better for running the above-said games and hopefully Half-Life 2 and Doom III.

Yea definatly go with the ram. The next I would probably say processor because with the money you would have left after the ram there wouldnt be a video card worth buying that you would see a huge performance change with.

True, but I might not include the RAM into the $200 limit I have, I need to see how many jobs I get. Maybe I'll see what I can clock the chip to without getting it too hot.

Well, the main components I listed in my specs above. I also have a built-in sound card, 60GB WD 7200 RPM Drive, and........a Chieftec Dragon Case.

Umm, yeah I think I listed the current system above. Maybe you misread?

Oh, and I just touched the multi up .5x to make the chip run at 1900+ speeds, but my temp is already 37 C. Does this seem high? Should I rearrange my fans? Reapply thermal grease?

You have plenty of room to OC. But you want to be going by full load temp when you measure temps after OCing.

A soundcard wouldnt be a bad idea. It will take some load off your CPU and sometimes you can also get a few games thrown in with it.

Definately get the ram, I think another 256 will make a huge difference. Other than that your video card is fine for the games you play currently. You might wanna invest into some better cooling for overclocking.

Good luck...

your video card is fine as is your cpu after oc, i think just a bit more ram would be required

Ok thanks. So does anyone have any advice as to what I should try for an OC? Should I push FSB up a little or multi? I'm currently at 133x11.5 I think.

Sorry this has gone a little off the game topic........

But War III Rocks!

If you could sell your video card, I would get a Radeon 9700, or 9700 pro. That would give you the biggest improvement for the money. Especially for games.

Just experiment. Push the FSB as far as your RAM will take you, then do the multiplier...

funnyperson1 said:
your video card is fine as is your cpu after oc, i think just a bit more ram would be required

I was thinking the same thing. Overclock what you have and see what you can get. What is the chipset on that mobo and is it a good overclcoker?

If not upgrade that to a nice nForce2 board, which will also give you very nice sound too. Then again you may want to get the ram now and then upgrade to an Athelon64 CPU & mobo. It will probably be out when you get the cash.

I really like your system. Get more ram and overclock what you have (if your board is a decent o/cer) and you'll be sitting pretty. You could always sell the Ti4200 and buy a better card, but with an overclock your system will be very well balanced.

personally, i would recommend buying more ram. maybe buy a 512 stick if you can afford it. I don't really like to mix and match ram if possible, so if you know what type of memory you have, either buy 256 or 512 more, depending on your budget. O/C your computer won't make that huge of an impact that more memory can provide, imo.

Since you will be OC'ing the cpu I would invest in a bit better hsf. An SLK-800 and a 50cfm fan will run you around $35-$40. That should help you maintain reasonable temps if you do a bit of overvolting. Other than that, with the $200 you say that you will have to spend the ram would be a wise choice. Try to spring for a PC2700 or better 512mb stick if you can. If you cant get much of an OC then a Barton XP2500 should be within your budget. And by X-mas a 9700 might just be within your budget as well if you are able to scratch up a bit more dough.

Definately upgrade the ram. As far as the video card, i've heard you can flash the bios on a radon 9500 to preform close to a 9700 pro. I just got mine and haven't tried it yet. That will save you a good 70 more for ram plus any you can get for selling the card you have

Back