• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolest thing you've ever done with Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moorcito

Like the title says, what is coolest things you have done with Linux. It doesn't matter if you've used Linux for 5 years or 5 minutes, this is just a thread to post the thing that you were able to accomplish with Linux that you're most proud of.

Running 5 other computers that did not have hard drives and using the diskless computers to Crunch/Fold.

At the same time, using one of those computers and going into a complete Linux gui- all from the server.

Pretty much rocks, IMO :D

Honestly, the only thing I ever did was reformat the hard drive and get rid of it. I couldn't even figure out how to unzip or untar or whatever anything, and my nforce 2 mobo wasn't compatible or something. I think I'll give it another try in a couple of days though.

The nforce2 is not incompatible with Linux (using an Abit NF-7 1.0 myself)
It´s just that you have to get nvidia drivers for the included devices (NIC and AGP mostly, Sound works but is labeled strangely in Linux). Wth the newest drivers, even non-nvidia videocards are possible.

To get back on topic: probably my IMAP mailserver with server side filtering (GUI configured even), TLS, webmail and virtual accounts.

Or the time I ran a headless PC with X11 xserver and VNC to connect to it.Truly a horrible hack, but I plead transient insanity at the time (read: I didn´t knew better).

Managed to get FAH up and running within 1 Day of installing Linux for the first time. Not amazing to most but I had no Idea what a command line was.

setup public web/ftp/mail/vpn services for many small to medium companies around LA

replaced and exchange server with SendMail and OpenLDAP to emulate the "groupware" functionality (address book and so on). This resulted in a box that looked like an exchange server to the Outlook clients, but reduced the licensing and hardware costs dramaticly.

RECENT EVIL ONE (last night)=accidentally ahniliated a university of michigan subnet. Made everyone in my dorm & some others very unahppy. Everyone lost network connection enough to become virtually unavailable. some of the ports in the rooms went literaly dead(including mine), ie: when u pluged your card into them, they wouldn't light up. I'm not even going to say how i did it, it was definately very nasty,basically I turned a 254 port swtich, into a hub. . .lotsa collisions. but still very cool. . . .I feel rotten. . .

good ones: Started an ftp,tftp,telnet,ssh,http,https, mysql, samba, dns, dhcp,distcc all in one server. . . and got it to all run.

succesfully played a game of coutner-strike, warcraft 3, diablo ii, starcraft all in comparable performance with windows.

used the reiser filesystem :p

ive don't a lot, i don't really remember them all.

I have done many things with linux, clustered processing, clustered services, diskless work stations, X servers, layer 7 packet shaping, blah, blah, but I think the coolest thing I've done with it is used it as my primary desktop operating system for over 7 years.

Also having a server running for 3.5 years without a reboot is pretty cool too, but that was ruined by a storm that took power out to the entire city for 2 days.

ookabooka said:
RECENT EVIL ONE (last night)=accidentally ahniliated a university of michigan subnet. Made everyone in my dorm & some others very unahppy. Everyone lost network connection enough to become virtually unavailable. some of the ports in the rooms went literaly dead(including mine), ie: when u pluged your card into them, they wouldn't light up. I'm not even going to say how i did it, it was definately very nasty,basically I turned a 254 port swtich, into a hub. . .lotsa collisions. but still very cool. . . .I feel rotten. . .

I don't see how that could be done with linux, isn't the switch a diffferent piece of hardware? I would hope to god you're not trying to use a server as a 254 port switch.......

Aside from running a corporate network on gentoo....

See the thread about OC-Linux, which is a project to customize a Knoppix bootable-CD OS.

Wow wish I had a story.. I don't but im proud of what im learning you really have to start to understand different things when using Linux.. Im also proud that im still using it.
When your a newbie it can be so difficault sometimes and the temptation to give it all up can be massive, ive now been using Linux as my main OS for four months not a big deal but its most certainly cool.

Anyway guys thanks for all the help, advice and motivation to keep me going

PolyPill said:

I don't see how that could be done with linux, isn't the switch a diffferent piece of hardware? I would hope to god you're not trying to use a server as a 254 port switch.......

no, i was trying listen to the packets that were comming into my computer, but accidentally did a massive ARP poisoning. Eventually it got to the point where the swtich could no longer handle all the collisions so it began shutting down random ports. If you really must know the program i used was ettercap. . . .don't go around doing nasty things, that program has many nasty features. . .

ookabooka said:
no, i was trying listen to the packets that were comming into my computer, but accidentally did a massive ARP poisoning. Eventually it got to the point where the swtich could no longer handle all the collisions so it began shutting down random ports. If you really must know the program i used was ettercap. . . .don't go around doing nasty things, that program has many nasty features. . .

Ok, so it was an accident but not really. I see

oh yea, i forgot.
accidentally blew away the wrong partition with all my windows data.

Lucky for me I had a backup! :)

moorcito said:
Like the title says, what is coolest things you have done with Linux. It doesn't matter if you've used Linux for 5 years or 5 minutes, this is just a thread to post the thing that you were able to accomplish with Linux that you're most proud of.

DEINSTALLATION!!! Just kidding! :)

Back