• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking with 2 routers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tebore

I have 2 dlink DI-604s and i wanna share a single DSL Connection. Does anyone know how to do so? The reason why i wanna use 2 routers is because i have 6 computers and I don't wanna buy a hub.

do you already own 2 routers? is so ok, if not, buy the hub...

to use 2 routers, you would need to disable DHCP on the second router. Assign it a public address on the wan side that is different than ANY network you use. Use a Crossover cable to connect the 2 routers together (on the LAN Side NOT the WAN) then you should essentially have one router and one Switch. It is much easier to go and buy a switch. You can pick one up for around $30 and there is no loss of bandwidth...

engjohn got it right but its as simple as it sounds, don't go out and waste money when you can still easily use the 2nd router/switch

Would i have to disable the second router's firewall or NAT?

Assign it a public address on the wan side that is different than ANY network you use.

Do you mean assign an IP to the second or first router? If it's to the first router shouldn't the ISP give me the IP?

Bear with me I'm a networking nub.

mm, well i've thought about sharing my internet with 2 computers.. But getting another account is only 10 dollars more for my ISP.. ALso my bandwidth for my ADSL is very limited.. 200kb download and 60 kb upload only.. So my choices are.. Share the internet or get another account. (One computer is for my useage, and the other is a server) Which would be better?

Tebore said:
Would i have to disable the second router's firewall or NAT?

Do you mean assign an IP to the second or first router? If it's to the first router shouldn't the ISP give me the IP?

Bear with me I'm a networking nub.

The first router will get an IP from the ISP, the second you MAY have to assign it something..... Now that I think about it, you can probably just set the wan side on the second router to dhcp and leave it be... (you still need to disable dhcp on the lan side of the second router)

and on the second one you'd have to assign it an ip, other than the default one because by default they'll both have the same ip, and whatever you change the second routers ip to should be on the dhcp exclude list on the first one.

edit: nevermind the first part i had

Last edited:
Back