Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

875P Neo2 Fan speedup/slowdown

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 06:04 AM Thread Starter   #1
Henry Rawlinson
Registered

875P Neo2 Fan speedup/slowdown

I'm running this board non-OC'd currently, with a 2.4C and 1Gig Crucial 3200 CL3 on it, with a TI4200 card. It's in a coolermaster case with 2 input fans, a top and a rear exhaust fan. The PSU as an input and output fan too. I'm on the 1.4 BIOS on the board.

I'm using a the stock intel CPU cooler.

I notice that when I'm using the PC the fan speed changes, quite a lot. In fact it 'whines up' and then 'whines down' every few seconds, quite noticebly.

I don't mind the fan noise itself, as long as it remains constant. But i can't find any way of making it stay constant. The noice is from the board-powered fans (I *think* the cpu fan is the main culprit) rather than those powered off the PSU directly. CPU temperature is not raising over 52 degress, but does fluctuate from 48C to 52 (probably because of the fan speed changes eh?)

I cannot find any way in Bios or otherwise of telling them all to run at a constant speed. I don't really want to change the nice little coolermaster fan-cables to take power from the PSU directly, and again I wouldn't want to do that for the CPU fan (not least because I like the motherboard to be monitoring fan speed and give me alarms as needed).

My guess is that the Mobo is simply speeding stuff up and slowing down with temp fluctuations, that quickly change with each speeed change: therefore it's in a sppedup/slowdown perpetual cycle. Makes for annoying noise....

Has anyone else experienced this? Even better, anyone have any tips for dealing with it?
Henry Rawlinson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 07-09-03, 06:09 AM Thread Starter   #2
Henry Rawlinson
Registered

Guys, I am d*u*m*b I think. I read threads below here, that talk about hte manual/auto fan settings in the corecell software. I will go try that.

I apologise to this forum for not reading-around enough first!

(I'll post back to confirm if this works out ok for me).
Old 07-10-03, 10:31 AM Thread Starter   #3
Henry Rawlinson
Registered

This worked fine, I was able to turn the CPU-fan right down.

A couple more questions though now:

- I can turn down the fan, but every time I boot the setting is not remembered. I have to turn them down again in Corecenter. Is there any way I can get my system to remember the fan speed I would like, even over a reboot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards