• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Application Start up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
My father is attempting to make a gradual progression to Linux and has Lindows I have done all the things I know such as created non-root users and tweaked it a bit however the click and run software service starts up automatically with the OS and runs in the system tray.... I was wondering how to disable this.. is there a file I can edit to disable this feature ?

depends where it´s started...
Since Lindows is Debian based, nevermind how *******ized now, get the filename of the click and run software and do a
"grep -r <filename>" in /etc and his home directory
Something should pop up.

Excuse me, I have to go and wash me now. I feel dirty giving advice about Lindows ;)

PS: please do something for your karma and your Dad´s. Get him hooked on a distro which is more free. It hasn´t to be as extreme as Debian proper, but maybe some other newbie distro based on Debian like Libranet. I mean, paying to be able to download Free software from the Internet is just wrong in so many levels, I can´t enumerate them all.

klingens said:
PS: please do something for your karma and your Dad´s. Get him hooked on a distro which is more free. It hasn´t to be as extreme as Debian proper, but maybe some other newbie distro based on Debian like Libranet. I mean, paying to be able to download Free software from the Internet is just wrong in so many levels, I can´t enumerate them all.

Actually Lindows is not as bad as I first thought, the reality is far worse.. its got some real strange setup I uninstalled mozilla after installing mozilla-firebird and the whole thing crashed on me to the point of not booting.
The click and run software tool is actually based on apt-get and once i got synaptic on it.. I removed click and run and it still worked ok.

Anyway after it crashed big time, I took the opportunity to show my father a few other distro's and now hes running SuSE 8.2 which was installed via FTP

Back