• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick straw poll: What's better Mandrake or Suse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markedmundb

Got 2 choices. Mandrake 9.1 or Suse 8.2 for setting up/running Intranet server through Apache for a near-noob? Replies by the end of the afternoon would be good, as I need to get my manager to order it.

Suse is a free download, just not ISO's. If you're just running an Apache web server (and that's it) pretty much any distro will do. Heck, Windows will work for that... ;)

I have tried SuSE and Mandrake and.. SuSE 8.2 is far better and can be obtained free by doing a network install across FTP (you can also download the network files and install across a LAN)
SuSE is better laid out has more thought behind it with admin tools such as YaST and YoU being second to none.... also its worth remembering that Apt-Get also works properly on SuSE

Im still a Linux newb and use SuSE because the documentation is exceptional for it and the fact that I get replys and assistence from every email I have sent to them.

Back