• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do dell mobo batteries kill non-dell mobos as well?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that is news to me. I would tend not to believe that. However, never put a regular PSU in a dell. Dell switched the power connector all around and it will fry your dell mobo.

wasn't that nice of them...

yesh i knew about the psu thingy, so thats why i asked about the battery... maybe they changed the polarities of em or something... anyways, they didnt so the battery does work :D
but the system still doesnt POST :(.......

Kino, have you tried removing everything non-essential for JUST a POST? Like, hard drives, floppy drives, south cards, get down to one stick of memory (unless you're RDRAM, of course) and are you sure the P/S is good?

Even if the battery is in backwards, the machine will still work, but don't leave the battery like that. Could leak, explode, do something nasty on your mo-bo, etc.

It's only something like 3.3volts.

yes sir ive tried booting only with essentials (cpu, mobo, video, ram) and didnt work...
i even tried without the video card and doesnt boot either
i highly doubt its the psu since the leds light up.. that means the psu is working right

Well, it means at least that PARTS of the PSU are working. Some of the rails might not be working at all, though. It's a possibility.

You can convert a normal PSU into a Dell PSU with exacting care and a pinout map, if you want to try that, or if you know someone with a Dell, see if they'll let you borrow the PSU (or just bring your machine over and borrow the lead if it will reach, which it probably won't).

Short of that, if the machine is 6 years old, I wouldn't dump money into fixing the problem, I'd replace it with 2 year old technology or year-old technology. Significantly cheaper than ultra-modern, and significantly faster than 6 year old.

That's just me, though. You may have reasons for wanting it to work, who am I to say. ;)

yeah.. it has some sentimental value.... it was my first pc you know.... *tear pops out*
i have an old dell lying around, there i took the mobo battery from, and some 10 gig backup hdd, and i tried running my pc with the psu fro mthat dell but i remembered dell psus killed non dell mobos

"You can convert a normal PSU into a Dell PSU with exacting care and a pinout map, if you want to try that, or if you know someone with a Dell, see if they'll let you borrow the PSU (or just bring your machine over and borrow the lead if it will reach, which it probably won't)."
You would have to take the microcontroller board(which interfaces to the I2C interface on the Dell mobo and controls the PSU) from the Dell PSU for it to work(just hope that's not the bad part).

i just had an idea.... since the dell is almost the same age as the pc that broke.... im thinking in passing my pcs ram, hdd and burner into the dell... and poof, resurrected pc
i know that will most likely require a reformat tho...

Back