• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 9800 or Nvidia 5800 What one????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

OK, I have looked, and not found an in depth that answers my question. Is there anyone here who has tried both and knows what is the best of the two?
I like to see my graphics and I like gaming, so both will do well. thank you.
IU am thinking the 256mb for sure. but what ones can be oc'd the best, ie...msi,,, Nvidia,,,, gainward..ati etc... thanks for all hints and advice.

For 256mb I think you'd have to go with a 5900 ultra or the radeon 9800 pro. Between these two cards the 9800 pro would be your best bet from what I've seen. Reviewers seem favor the 9800 pro, but not by large margins. From what I understand the 9800 pro has more features to offer than the 5900ultra. Remember the 5900 will take up your top pci slot as well, the 9800 pro will not. thats something to consider if you have all your pci slots filled. ATi's Catalyst driver program is very good. I have an 8500 and I just see improvements with each release. of course I've only used ATi, from my rage 2c to my radeon 8500 only ATi has been in my computers with the exception of one laptop that had a twister chipset. I like ATi I guess, never saw a reason to go with Nvidia although I've come close before.

Answer: 9800pro of the 256mb type

OOPS< I meant to say the 5900. Thank you both,. I had the Nvidia 4800, and thought it was hot to trot, but after going to the one I have now, the 9700, it made me a bleiever in ATI. Cool, ATI it is then.

leathersmt said:
OOPS< I meant to say the 5900. Thank you both,. I had the Nvidia 4800, and thought it was hot to trot, but after going to the one I have now, the 9700, it made me a bleiever in ATI. Cool, ATI it is then.

Good job. AA:Ops will play very nicely for ya!!!

glad to hear you like that 9700...i'm looking to upgrading by the start of the new year....i'll probably upgrade to an athlon 64 and see about getting a pci express card

if u have a 9700 i would just save your money until you actually need to buy a card...you are not going to see too huge of a difference in performance.

Yeah if you already have a 9700 don't upgrade... that should AT LEAST get you through for another 6 months before you start to notice that your card is no longer "at the top".

Seriously save your money. Unless you live for benchmarks. Because you wont notice a huge difference.

Just wait a bit. The 9900 pro isnt far off.

skip the 256ddr2 9800pro,

though I have had great results with overclocking this card I cant oc the mem cause they have changed the board layout drastically to accomodate the new ddr2. Going with the 128mb card will make things a little easier for overclocking. As it stands I cant find the voltage measurement points on the 256 because of the new seated capacitors....they no longer run through the board giving you the ease of those big nubs to measure from. Of course if you really wanna get extreme then you could just extend the cap but with new cards coming out so fast and my cpu holding me down I decided to skip on that one.
Anyway I thought that you might like to be aware of this stuff prior to jumping onto the ddr2 bandwagon! I have been able to run this card at 510core/406 mem@ 1.79v on the core though.

does anyone even know where you could buy a 5800...lol, didnt those kinda just...never come out, then nobody seemed to care if they ever came out, so nVidia never released them...

and...what the heck, d00d? You have a 9700...and you want to get a new video card? as my friend would say "..." You must really want that extra 5fps, dont you?

This is crazy... What kind of situation could you ever be in where a 9700 isn't good enough? I recommend to save your money, unless you are filthy rich and don't care about money, or unless someone else pays for your computer upgrades. I have a 8500LE and I don't even have plans to upgrade in the near future.

Has it just been me or are all those 256mb cards; the 9800 pro, the 5900 ultra, the 5600 pro and that odd 9000 pro, just a waste of money?
Cause i mean if you dont turn on all the eye candy 64mb is enough but when you do 128mb is still more than enough. Dont say doom 3 uses it cause benchmarks have shown that 128 is enough even with max detail and eye candy. I mean yea its for the future but i doubt that 256 will even begin to make a diffrence until about 1 year minimum. In my opinion ita a waste of hard earned money and by the time games do use 256mb of mem, the cards mem and clock speeds will be to slow and you stuck with a card that has the memory but just dosent have the speed.

And by all means correct me if im wrong is there something i dont know?

okay,

I hate to be negative here but ....are you on crack??? 64mb wont do crap for ut2k3 at 1280 with high detail. The stock 9700pro wont either...and youde know that if you went online with it. True the gains are little from the 9700 to the 9800 however when you start overclocking it the gains grow emmensely.
Being that I am previously of the "need the best even if it kills me" group....I can truelly say though that the 9700pro is the best bang for the buck. The mods for it are hecka easy and with very little effort you can take care of most of the ati design flaws like gpu/hsf contact, ramsinks...etc.
You must also be carefull what reviews you read because when the 9800pro 256 was first released the drivers didnt really support it. Now with the cat 3.5 things are much better and the extra ddr is used more. Remember this though....this is a first release card for ati that was pushed out quickly because of the funding for the r400 and then r420. DDR2 released from crucial which shipped from them just as the 256 shipped from ati will be available soon with better latencies. Your best bet would be to stick with the 9700pro and then switch to the r420 when it arrives. Dont even bother with the r400 as they have halted financing for it and will sell it just to get rid of the limited production. More funding is being diverted and going into the r420 pool so pci express can become the next big change!!!
I went from an oc'ed 9700pro to an oced 9800pro 256 last month and my gain was about 1k3dmarks in o1se.....was it worth it???? Not for the $500 clams I laid down for a first release card...nope. To tell ya the truth though I was caught upo in all the gaining points hype...at the time I would have given my left nutt for 10 more points...hehe. Live and learn and then suffer from boredom!;)

"I hate to be negative here but ....are you on crack??? 64mb wont do crap for ut2k3 at 1280 with high detail. The stock 9700pro wont either...and youde know that if you went online with it. True the gains are little from the 9700 to the 9800 however when you start overclocking it the gains grow emmensely."

I was just playing UT2K3 on high detail, 1280x960 resolution, on a GIANT map and it ran fine with a Ti 4200 64 mb. Learn some stuff about video cards plz.

i suppose then...

I suppose that its all relative on ones perception of latency. If you are truelly a hardcore gamer then you have a low latency ps2 mouse (not usb), low latency monitor, low latency connection, and you do what it takes to give you that edge. While the difference between a 64mb card and a 256 mb card might not be a easily seen as that of 56 verses a T1 it is there. The numbers dont lie and when I say high res I mean 1920x1200 which is my monitors native resolution. I dont run it at that but I can easily with the 9800. The 9700 wont do it at all as that resolution is not supported with it. You are running a close to widescreen res which might indicate a widescreen lcd??? If you use dvi then again you will loose some latency.
You cant take a $50k amp and then hook it into a kmart stereo and expect the amp to sound any good. For some systems the 9800 would be a bottle neck. I have several 9700pros, 1 9800pro 256, geforce 4 ti4600, geforce 3 ti500, and a geforce 2 pro. You cant possibly tell me that you cant see the value if goping from the ti500 to the 9700 or even above that. The difference is so huge that my son complains that I wont give him one of my 9700's.:eek:

Now that class in in session what would you like me to teach you about video cards.....sir?

Radeon 9800 Pro > GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
040703-ATI.JPG

Simmah son. You said 64 mb won't run it on 1280x960 and it ran fine for me. And are you looking to sell any of those sexy 9700 Pros? ;)

Back