• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new rig.... thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

ok so im a 17-year old with a pretty good summer job, and i wanted to build myself a decent computer as a little summer project. here's what i will have as of a week or so:

*intel celeron 1.7 ghz (yes i know its the willamette, ill prob. upgrade in a month or so)
*thermaltake volcano 7+
*aopen ax45-v mobo
*nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 vid card (the 128mb ddr version)
*on-board sound (AC'97 CODEC, i believe... possible upgrade)
*quantum 20gb hdd
*external cd-rewriter, internal cd-rom, internal floppy (thinking a/b getting a cd-rw / dvd-rom drive)
*(hopefully) 2 monitors... nothing special, just a couple that were given to me
*powermax 300w psu
*keyboard, mouse
*optimum online cable internet service

its mainly for games, internet, folding, and school work (when school gets back in session)... all the parts i bought combined probably cost a/b $350.

im planning on overclocking it... but i dont have any of the major parts yet.... any suggestions for cheap upgrades / critiques?

you want cheap...go with a athlon xp 1700, thermalright slk800, and a thermaltake smart fan 2, for a motherboard get an abit nf7-s motherboard, and corsair xms memory...that is a good cheap overclocking system and not for very much money ;)

I'll say a yep to what they sais about the 1700, heatsind/fan, and the mobo but save a bit more cash and get some buffalo ram. it will save ya about $30 per 512meg stice of pc3200.

Get better power supply. Lots of people here have recommended the Fortrons for good inexpensive power supplies.

yeah, get the amd1700 and the nf7-s rev. 2, and you'll be set. AS for a HSF, well if you look at a lot of peoples sigs in this forum, you'll find they either have the Coolermaster Aero 7 or the SLK-800. Just my 2cents

Back