• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cathor-D Tek design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElroyCarbon

OK guys I'm on the list and well it's time to snap on a new rig and it seems AMD, Abit and this new H2O block are gonna be my key ingrediants. Almost forgot Mr. Fettigs Radeon H2O block shall play a part in me rig as well. For starters what do you guys think about this idea? I was thinking of goin from the 1250 into the center of CPU block, from there we split off into two different directions. One of the outputs heads over to GPU block while the other the chipset block. both of those outputs then proceed to unite just before reaching the Chevette core. Following the core we then head over to the reservior and then we start again. I see this CPU block as an opportunity to be used in place of a T as well as giving me the ability to manipulate my hose (tygon) with more freedom as far as angle/ radius goes. I dunno if this is the best circuit as far as cooling goes so let me know what you guys think. Ultimately performance is my main objective here, hence all the cash on the various blocks so I do not want to compromise performance for cosmetics or ease of circuit. Let me know and thanks EC is outty ;)

I think it would be best to join the outlets of the WW as soon as possible, I run mine with 3 inches on each outlet before they rejoin with the Y connector. IF you run the outlets at different lenghts and to different components, pressure in the block will become unbalanced and one outlet will do more work than the other, I have seen this before. It is best to use short equal length tubing and join them asap, then go to the GPU and whatever else.

Hmmm.
I do not have a WW or any other block with two outlets.
nikhsub1's advice seems sound to me as well....
But I also think your idea could have some merit! It would NEED to have blocks of exactly the same flowrate though, and tubing of exactly the same flow. This would make it pretty tough to do.....

It could be an interesting experiment if you are the brave type. :)

rogerdugans said:
Hmmm.
I do not have a WW or any other block with two outlets.
nikhsub1's advice seems sound to me as well....
But I also think your idea could have some merit! It would NEED to have blocks of exactly the same flowrate though, and tubing of exactly the same flow. This would make it pretty tough to do.....

It could be an interesting experiment if you are the brave type. :)
roger i have done it before, it works badly. Temps went up 2-3C when i had long uneven tubing on the outlets or the WW.

Wow thanks for the info nikhsub, I was thinking of doing this when I got around to putting a GPU and NB block in my system. Now I know to not experiment with it. What a time saver! :D

Yeah I'm kinds disapointed it wont work, but this is why I decided to ask........to save time. I want my rig to perform!

I do believe you, nikhsub1, and I have no doubt that any experiment I tried would fare no better than yours.

But I am a hopeless tinkerererer- erm: experimenter :)

I think the idea is sound, but putting it into use almost impossible!

ANY difference in flow restriction, as you said, will cause more flow through one loop wrecking efficiency pretty thouroughly.

And getting the two loops to have EXACTLY the same flow rate without using check valves and so forth (which would kill flow rate themselves) would be just about impossible. Or impossible! :)

And yet, if I had a block with two outlets AND I had blocks for gpu and NB (I have none of these) I would still try it, just for fun.

I will admit that I like to pound my head against the wall now and then too......:D

It wouldnt be too hard to balance the system. If you left the gpu and nb blocks open and checked flow. Add a longer piece of tubing to the one with more flow. Once you get them even, use same length of tubing after both blocks going to the Y. That should eliminate any unbalance in the cpu block. But you are dividing your flowrate in half after cpu, so it would probably be best for the other blocks to be designed for a 3/8 system. You should be alright because those 2 aren't gonna be as critical as the cpu. If you do tinker around, let us know the results.

peace.
unloaded

Back