• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott to NOT work in current Socket 478 boards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark Larson

Disabled
http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=20014

This applies to current 875 (Canterwood) and 865 (Springdale) as well.

So basically Northwood 3.2 or o'ced is your limit.

After meeting with a manufacturer in Los Angeles yesterday, we were told that the first batch of Prescott processors will not be compatible with any motherboard currently available on the market today. Before Prescott undergoes a complete socket overhaul in Q2 2004, all Prescott processors will be of the Socket 478 variety, shipments of which will start in early Q4 of this year. But due to a mandatory voltage regulation spec change from VIN 1.0 to VIN 1.5, these Socket 478 Prescott processors will not be compatible with any Socket 478 motherboards. Motherboards based on 865PE and 875P chipsets are among those not compatible with the first Prescotts we learned.

We know of many users that are currently purchasing motherboards based on the assumption that, because Prescotts will be Socket 478 until Q2 next year, current Socket 478 motherboards will be compatible until then. However, this assumption is highly unlikely to be true based on the information we were given on Wednesday. Intel and motherboard manufacturers may be able to find a workaround, but we wouldn't count on it.

Mark Larson said:
http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=20014

This applies to current 875 (Canterwood) and 865 (Springdale) as well.

So basically Northwood 3.2 or o'ced is your limit.

Wow, I didn't think it would take until 2:30pm before someone brought this up.

Yes as Ed pointed out on the front page today, some 865/875-based motherboards today might not work with Prescotts. But it's far too early to say that none of them will.

People looking for a new motherboard today should definitely contact the manufacturers to find out which boards will be compliant with Prescott. But at the moment I don't think this is as huge a deal as the media wants it to be.

Two months ago i sent an email to abit tech support regarding Prescott 478pins support on IC7.

Their answer was that current IC7 is Prescott ready !
I have the email somewhere ... i will find it and paste it here ...

If you check Asus homepage you can also see that their new P4S800(Sis648Fx) can also run Prescotts.

steliosDj said:
Two months ago i sent an email to abit tech support regarding Prescott 478pins support on IC7.

Their answer was that current IC7 is Prescott ready !
I have the email somewhere ... i will find it and paste it here ...

Yes, but why let a little thing like the truth get in the way of your Intel-bashing.. heh.

I don't think it's true for one reason, and one reason only... IT Doesn't make SENSE!!!

The Socket 478 will be phased out by the middle of next year. The 865/875 is the LAST socket 478 chipset. Motherboard makers and intel aren't that stupid. Since prescott is coming out the end of october, that's about 5 months until the Socket 478 is dead. Do you really think they are going to introduce a NEW 865/875 motherboard for a died socket? umm.. of course not. have no fear I'm sure all MAJOR brands will supports prescott.

You know I remember hearing crap like this about the 845/845PE motherboards, that they wouldn't support new 3.06GHz cpu's and blah blah blah.. yet I had a 845 chipset up to 3.5GHz with no problems..

One more thing. ALL 865/875 MOTHERBOARDS were built WITH PRESCOTT IN MIND. That was one of the HUGE selling points..

aahh I hate hearing bull****.. it makes me so mad..:mad:

And if you don't think that abit and Asus have engineering sample prescotts running right now in their mothersboards well then I have nothing else left to say.

yeah that x-bit labs fairy tale was brought up on OCAU.
i'll ask the same question here as i did there...

when was it confirmed and who confirmed it?
has anyone seen a company name behind any of theses stories?
is there any mention of who is "confirming" all these reports?

looktall .............. you have a point and I know Ed on our front page has a similar view . But it is a possibility and I don't see any manufacturers quickly standing up to say "our boards can do it so disregard the rumour" . Secondly I never said that it is a fact but I have found it to be very rare when these internet rumours ever have a source's name , even rumours which turnout to be true .

For now I'll watch and wait .

i'm not saying it's not true either, i'm 100% certain that there will be some boards that won't support prescott, but these stories are coming across with the idea that there will be none that support it.

and for the article to say "it has now been confirmed.." is absolute rubbish.
nothing has been confirmed at all.

this would be very odd, as then intel and their partners would have to make a new set of mobos for a line of processors that will not be around for more than a year, and will not see many speed grades. If this is true it would be IMHO roughly equivilent to the socket 423 P4 and thier mobos, and we all know how great an investment those parts were, I would hope that Intel would learn their lesson, but who knows.

as far as I am concerned now is definately a sit and wait period for major upgrades, but that is just me....
________
Vaporizer Affiliates

Last edited:
The controversy is not over yet...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00425/

The truth will emerge sooner or later of course, so it's all speculation at this point, but people saying that it would be 'silly' for Intel to mandate an in-socket change have not considered similar events from the past.
In the P3 days, Intel's own Slot1 P2 boards (SE440BX series) would not accomodate Slot1 P3's, due to minimal voltage circuitry changes (the SE440BX-3 DID support those chips). Similarly, the relatively new 815E boards could not accomodate the Tualatin core, and it required another miniscule change to accomodate these (CUSL2 vs TUSL2).
The good news is that in both cases people eventually figured out that it was possible after all to run the newer chips, either by 'running rich' or by some wire tricks, respectively.

Mark Larson said:

and why let a small thing like reporting what i've heard on the web get in the way of you bashing me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It was a good plot of some AMD marketeers. Alot of people are not going to upgrade now. Good job AH.

I'm not upgrading till the new prescott boards are down till say 250.00, even at that I want the processor to be around 4ghz+ So just as seamadan000 this is definately a sit and wait period for major upgrades

Back