• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soem tips for another linux noob like myself lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

soem info for another linux noob like myself lol

this is just some stuff ive learned over the pasty day or 2

#1 linux is a open source operating system, based off unix

#2 2 of the easier distrubutions of linux to use, are redhat/mandrake

i am using mandrake www.linux-mandrake.com
#3 i586 is for a pentium class chip (x86)
ppc is the power pc chip

#4 the easiest way to install, is to get an ISO image file, and burn it onto a cd

the burner program ((nero, roxio any name brand burner prog for the most part) will most likely have an option to have burn image

so when you select it to burn the image, it breaks up the ISO, into many smaller files and then burns it on the cd

#5 go into the bios and make the cd-drive the first boot

#6 pop in the cd, and reboot

#7 follow the on screen instructions, its really pretty straight forward and is for the most part no harder than a winxp install

#8 near the end, it will probably ask you if you want to install gnome/kde, i installed both as i want to see which one i like better (they are 2 diff. GUI for linux)

#9 download/install the drivers (this can be a royal pain in the ***)
thankfully with the setup in my signature all i had to do was go to www.nvidia.com lol (you'll have to download the ethernet drivers if you have a nic/onboard lan for it to work)

read all (if not, most if your lazy like me lol ;) ) of the documentation, that will tell you about how to install them

#10 setup the net, for me i just went to the mandrake control center, configured the ethernet card, and made the lan settings DHCP and i was good to go

------ if you have a modem, thaaaats a winmodem, youll have to download special drivers for it, sorry cant remember where

----- a hardware modem is better to have if installing linux, and wanting a 56k

#11 do cool linux things

and just a few other things i learned

theres cool themes you can get for your gui that are eye candy

the console is pretty useful in certain situations (if you know the commands :p ) so heres a few i learned

su -- switch user, i use it to switch between my account and root

ex: su root

cd -- change directory, use it to change the directory youre in

dir -- it displays the things in that directory

ls -- (thats LS) displays the things in that directory in a diff way

TAB-- use that to complete file names, ex a long *** driver name

begin typing that and hit tab and it will auto-complete it

theres some others, but im kidna brain dead

oh yea and if your thinking about getting linux, but are worried about not alot of applications, i was suprised

the mandrake distro i got came with almost everything under the sun

graphs, word processing, IM, many diff consoles multimedia, monitoring

almost anything that windows has, (minus some of windows games)

tip # 12 have some cold ones near by, trust me on this one.

Nice little summary there ;)

For anyone considering trying linux. I fully encourage you to do it! But you must be prepared to accept the fact you are going to spend ALOT of time reading. If your ready to take the dive...well come on in the waters warm. :)

yea about that reading part, i hate reading i cannot read something for more than about a minute without getting uber bored

but i just try to read enough wiht out ****ing everything up, the other stuff, i ask questions lol

#13 - To exit vi type :q
I don't know a single person who didn't have trouble exiting vi their first time...Lol

Ryan0rZ said:
#13 - To exit vi type :q
I don't know a single person who didn't have trouble exiting vi their first time...Lol

if you have messed up that file and want to exit without saving it type
:q!

That has saved me a few times!

become familiar with grep, awk, tar, pax, mkisofs, cdrecord, rm, mv, cp, ps, and your favorite text editor (vi, emacs, pico). thats a good place to start...

linux noob

im hookin up my cable modem tonight and that means no more 56k!! so i think i just might download me some linux and try it out. ive been wanting to do this for ahwhile but because of my 56k and not always connected then this was not possible especially with it being on our main phone line. So does anyone out there have any beginner guides or anything for linux or anything i should read up on before i do this. btw i hav a separate partition waiting....

abitavenger

Re: linux noob

abitavenger said:
im hookin up my cable modem tonight and that means no more 56k!! so i think i just might download me some linux and try it out. ive been wanting to do this for ahwhile but because of my 56k and not always connected then this was not possible especially with it being on our main phone line. So does anyone out there have any beginner guides or anything for linux or anything i should read up on before i do this. btw i hav a separate partition waiting....

abitavenger

http://www.linux.org/docs/index.html

http://www.tldp.org/

for just getting started, all you really need to know is how to

change directory, switch user, and edit config files

then all the other stuff comes with just using it for a while

and your favorite text editor (vi, emacs, pico)
ln -s /usr/bin/emacs /usr/bin/vi
(Just a suggestion, really. ;))

Another good website to consider is http://www.linux-sec.net/. This place is a great place to go, to learn about basic linux hardening (Sure, Linux is less vulnerable than windows. But there are still 'sploits and root kits. Script Kitty might not like blowfish, but he sure likes penguins).

Also a wonderful site, http://www.securityfocus.com/ has excellent information on UNIX as well as non-UNIX security issues, and is always pretty up to date.

Back