• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

two video cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok I was thinking of using two video cards. However I want to say be able to play a movie with the GF4 at full screen and talk on AIM via the GF2. So my question is, is this possible if so how?

i think so

i know its possible with one

youd have to configure them both, then set one as your primary monitor, and the other as an extended desktop

but one would have to pci, becaus emost mobos dont have 2 agp slots..

can't you setup your 4600 for dual monitors? that'd be alot easier than running 2 graphics cards. windows probably wouldn't like that idea. i know that it didn't like when i tried to use soundstorm and my m-audio revolution at the same time.

btw i think if you run dual monitors you can set the game resolution to only be on one screen so the other would be free.

or you could build a second rig out of spare parts and KVM them together to one set of kb, mouse and monitor.

Well I tried running the GF4 TI4600 with duals and when playing a game or watching a movie the other screen would go blank. What I want is to have the GF4 run a movie and hook the TV via a S-video cable and then she can wacth and I can talk.

I do it with just my mx440... you just set the monitor as primary and the Tv as secondary...also set the tv as your full screen device...the driver will automatically switch any movie or game that is in a window on the monitor to full screen on the tv, and you can still multitask via the monitor...

yeah you can do that, a friend of mine has my old Dell (onboard video) and a Geforce2. I uses the Geforce2 for his main 19" monitor and the onboard to display different stuff like the task manager or media player. The software included in the Nvidia Drivers allows it. When he plays a game, the main one displays the game and the other one displays the desktop (except for Quake *all he's noticed so far*).

Ok got it working now. The little lady is watching a movie and I'm here typing and just thought of something. Ok when I go to play a game while the TV is on will it play on my monitor or the TV. Cause I don't want to go through all that pain again to set it up if the game will be on the TV. Ok I just found out the hard way went to try a game and the movie stopped. Now when I shut down or go to play a game and later watch a movie. Will I have to set it back up to play a movie at full screen on the TV.

Last edited:
i also have a question similar to his...and someone mentioned the solution..how do i use both the TV and the monitor but one show kazaa or windows MP or w/e else i want to watch on TV and still use the monitor

Set the monitor as your main and the TV as your secondary. Also set the TV as the full screen. I know with mine is was a pain to set up but afterwards she was watching a movie while I was talking in IRC.

hey guys,
what is a the best value for dual monitor setup?
I am currently using my old GF2 pro video card (AGP). it has a video output. I want to setup so that I can watch movie on my TV from the video out and still doing my work on my monitor.

should I just get a new PCI card or should I buy a dual monitor card and replace my old card?

Back