• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 1700 system specs need your input now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

In order to upgrade my mainboard to a NF7-s :). I am building a PC for a client of mine.
She will be getting my ABit KR7A (non RAID) and a DLT3C 1700.
This unit will be O/C'd by me to a safe 2gigs and passed on to her so it doesen't need to be 'top form'. My budget is $920.00 and that needs to include:

• CASE - Chieftec dragon- on sale @ Directron for - $49
  • MOBO - KR7A - GOT ALREADY
  • PSU - Raidmax 350 Watt- SVC $13
  • CPU - 1700 - $60 (guaranteed DLT3C (B) )
  • HeatSink - un-decided what to use - $30
  • RAM - Crucial PC2100 512mb - $70
  • VGA - Geforce 2 or 3 - $50
  • SOUND - Soundblaster live 5.1 - $25
  • NIC - Whatever - $10
  • HDD - WD 30-40 gb - $60
  • CDRW/DVD drive combo - $50
  • WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND OPTICAL MOUSE - Directron $37.99
  • SPEAKERS (3 or more) - $40
  • SCANNER/PRINTER combo - $80
  • MONITOR - Samsung syncmaster 753df 17" flat - $199 ($40 rebate)
  • CABLES - round copper - $20
  • CC LIGHT - $12

TOTAL: $805.99 which leaves me just enough to get an NF-7, however, if you guys have better ideas on how to do this effectivly and cheaper i'd like to know!

Last edited:
That's a very nice lineup. I'd suggest getting a Maxtor or Western Digital hard drive from either Best Buy or CompUSA(I know, I know) they have 40GB for only $40, which is pretty much impossible to beat. Use these extra $20 to get a Radeon 9000 or 9100/8500. It'll be well worth it. The Thermalright SK7 and Thermaltake Smartfan II is the HSF combo to beat, and should cost around $30.

radeon 9000/9100/8500? how much and from where. Will that out-perform a Geforce 3 ti200 64mb?
Thermalright SK7 and Thermaltake Smartfan II. Has anyone had experience with the mounting clips on these? which is better?
I decided on dropping the rounded cables and CCFL if necessary.
Also, I just noticed the NF7 has onboard lan so she can also have my linksys 10/100.
If I can find somewhere to get some good PC3200/3400 from for around $90, she can also have the stick of 512 PC2700 I use in the KR7A. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have the sk7 and it's very easy to install. It has the 3-prong clip. The fan is even easier to install onto the heatsink. No screws needed, the SK7 comes w/ wire springs clips that you use to attach the fan onto it.

The thermaltake Smartfan II is the fan itself. The SK-7 is the heatsink only. You can use any 80mm fan you want depending on the noise level you prefer. I have a Delta 80cfm fan, it gives out the same cfm as the Sunon 80mm tornado and is just as loud. The Smartfan I think has a sensor that slows the fan down or speeds it up depending on the temp sensor reading.

Back