• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7 onboard sound or audigy with live drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

I dont use the live drive, but I like to have the option, however, if I could save space and not loose sound quality that would also make me happy. SO, should I keep the audigy or use the onboard with my 4.1 speakers?

Personally, once i heard the onboard soundstorm i sold my audigy. but you say NF7 so my guess is it doesnt have the MCP-T southbridge and therefore no Soundstorm, if thats the case keep the audigy, as the realtek audio isnt exactly "high end".

Nick

if you have the -s than you have soundstorm quality sound. that's about as good as an audigy. if you want a really good card get an m-audio revolution and get the nf7 non -s just reg nf7. that's what i wish i did after i bought my revolution.

oh yeah the sound card.:
has 107Dba SNR to the soundstorm's 100 (Dba doubles every 10 so it's almost twice as good) THD is alot lower. i forget the number but it's something rediculous.

basically it's a card better than an audigy2 for $90.

whoa whoa whoa..... now if you have crappy speakers, it does not matter what sound you use. onboard audio or audigy will sound the same. if you have good speakers or good headphones (i have klipsh 4.1 and dj headphones) you notice a HUGE difference in sound quality between the audigy and soundstorm. The audigys sound quality is a LOT better. I also thought at first that i would get free pci slots when i changed from KT333 to nforce 2 but after being so used to the audigy quality sound, i noticed a huge difference for the worse when taking out the audigy. if you have the audigy and good speakers/headphones use it you will have much better sound quality than the nforce 2 can ever do.

emericanchaos said:
oh yeah the sound card.:
has 107Dba SNR to the soundstorm's 100 (Dba doubles every 10 so it's almost twice as good) THD is alot lower. i forget the number but it's something rediculous.

basically it's a card better than an audigy2 for $90.

the SNR is rated in dB not dBa, your statement held truth in that 10dBa makes twice the difference in sound but there is more than one measurement of dB, take SPL for instance, its still measured in dB but dBs of PRESSURE not noise. and dont get me wrong 107dB SNR kicks ***, its just not measured the way you explained it is all.

Nick

Back