• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fluxbox and redhat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was able to install Fluxbox on Red Hat 7.3 with no problems. Try downloading the source tarball from here and compiling it.

Depending on your configuration of Red Hat, you might run into some dependency problems. Should be reasonably straight forward though, just install the things it says it's missing.

thanz for reply, i got fluxbox working after a little bit of reading:D :D. Im using aterm for the transparency terminal, and i got it to display on the menu by typing "
fluxbox-generate_menu -t aterm." however this will only display the terminal w/o any tranparency. How do i set it up so that everytime i click on aterm in the menu, it will be transparent.

I would edit your ~/.fluxbox/menu file, and find the line that references to aterm. The syntax is as follows:

[exec] (menu_label) {command to execute}

So, you would replace "menu_label" with the text label you want to see in the actual menu, and replace "command to execute" with the command that starts aterm, complete with the switch that turns on transparency.

that is exactly what i did, but it's still doesn't work. I also made sure that the ~/fluxbox/menu is menu.

Perhaps you are setting the background in a way aterm doesn't like. Check the "root command:" line of your styles file (usually in /usr/share/fluxbox/styles ; the individual files are named with the same names as the styles themselves, just look in the one for the style you are currently using).

Often, the styles use bsetbg or bsetroot to set the background. For whatever reason, these programs tend to not work well with transparency. I've found that Esetroot works well. I've only used Eterm though, so I can't say about aterm.

First check if you have Esetroot installed (just run it on a command line and see if it can find it), and if so, replace the root command line of your styles file with a command line that uses Esetroot, not bsetbg or bsetroot.

Esetroot isn't installed, do you know a place where i can download?? can't seem to find it on the net.:D :D

After i compiled Eterm, i ran Esetroot. It said, "Eterm was build with out pixmap support so Esetroot is fairly useless."What does this mean??

Hmm, that's interesting. I suggest you go back to the source directory, and run ./configure --help . That should give you a listing of the various arguments ./configure will accept. Hopefully, one of those options will allow you to turn on pixmap support.

Then, just run ./configure with the pixmap option, and recompile the package.

i tried to run ./configure --help, and it said nothing about pixmap support. I'm going camping, so i wont be able to use the comp for a few days. I guess when i get back, i'll try to install redhat again and see if it's any help. Thanz for all the help Titan.

monk,

Back