• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do you usually ship when you RMA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

I was just wonderin how you guys ship your products back when you RMA stuff.. fedex? ups? priority mail? first-class mail?

Cause I'm just wonderin, you don't have to use a huge fedex box for the little products like newegg does, right? So I can RMA some ram chips with an envelope and 37 cents if i wanted to?

thanks. :cool:

I usually use fedex ground or express depending on the items. I wouldn't send anything in an envelope. If it gets there damaged, then you're responsible for it and most likely, they won't accept it.

If you need to send ram modules, use the package it came in (plastic blister package) and put it in a small box and ship it at least priority mail with tracking and insurance. Read the shipping return policy of the place you're sending it back to, too. Some have very strict packaging requirements for their rma's like Maxtor.

I'm becoming a master at rma's (current count = 5) :D

-Bobby

Check what they recomend. But ushaly I send it in a box through the usps with tracking and insuranace. NEVER send ram chips in an envlope! They will get broke in half and then you won't get any new ones. I have had more than my fare share of rmas (at least 7)

Fedex ground is really cheap. I just sent back a hd to Maxtor for $4.87 with ins.

That rma count is just from my recent upgrade within the past month :(

-Bobby

many resellers will NOT take an RMA that does not come in a sturdy box, for risk of being damaged in transit. even if you send it in a padded envelope, and the memory stick inside is packaged in a pure titanium shell, they will see the envelope and reject it.

I go USPS. cheap 3-day. =)

I've got 4 RMAs on my record, 3 of them acted upon. (1 I fixed the issue myself)

Amorphus said:
I've got 4 RMAs on my record, 3 of them acted upon. (1 I fixed the issue myself)

There's a few things that I fixed myself but fixing SMART alerts on hd's, dead bios on mobo's, bad ram modules aren't on my skills list ;)

-Bobby

hmm what's the difference between usps 3 day and just plainly mailing a box with stamps by first class mail?

fedex seems a little difficult heh. A little complicating for me. Their web site is like a maze for a newbie like myself.

USPS 3 day will give you a tracking # and the option to insure your package.

I usually go to the Fedex center to ship my stuff and they have better hours than my local post office.

-Bobby

so bobby.. for Fedex ground, you fill out a form and stuff with your name and address and your address to ship to, and you pay them and then they do the rest with the labels and barcodes and all that stuff?
What about newegg where you have to put the RMA# under the address? Do you write it after they print a label or you just add it with the address and print out everything alltogether?
sorry this is my first time doin an RMA so I wanna get everything write and make sure there are no screw ups. :)

Yes, you can pick up a form to fill out at the center. You have to write the RMA # on the outside of the package. I usually put it on the lower left corner of the package with a Sharpie in ~1" letters, clearly visible. Then I put clear tape over it so it won't get smudged/erased. Bring the package and the form to the counter, they put it in their computers, then print out a few labels. One goes on the package, the other goes on your receipt. This label has the tracking # on it. If you get confused, ask them. Pay the fees and hold onto your receipt. That's pretty much it.

-Bobby

Back