• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MooMasster716

For the last few months ive had to use system restore to restore settings on my computer because after a while my dvd drive and my other two virtual drives,created via alchol 120%, dissapear. The only drive unafected is my cdrw. I go to device manager and it shows the drives and a red x and when i try to enable them they cant. Ive tried updateing drivers but its using xp's plug and play driver so ??? can anyone help me

Welcome to the forums!

A few questions to better understand your setup and problems:
What motherboard are you using?
What kind of drives?
Do you have the latest windows updates installed?
Do you have the jumpers and cable installed properly?

-Bobby

Its a intel 845 ge with a p4 1.8, its a oem dvd drive i got it from a gatewat 500 s 2 are virtual using alcoholl 120% yes i have every update yes its all good i ran this for 1 year then it started happening.

Just looked up what alcohol 120% is. LOL.

You should try uninstalling, reboot and reinstalling the software. The virtual drives are disappearing. I use VirtualDrive and haven't had any problems with that.

I don't know why your DVD drive would disappear though. The drivers for your DVD drive might be conflicting with the software. Try reinstalling and see if your DVD drive still drops out.

-Bobby

Without actually knowing how you use the computer and what you've dloaded, I don't know exactly what the cause would be but it sounds like a driver is corrupted and the easiest way would be to reinstall alcohol 120% (not windows). You can go into control panels>add or remove programs and uninstall it. Reboot, then reinstall it. The cd images should still be on your hd so you wouldn't have to recreate them.

-Bobby

Back