• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent help with USB needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cupe|ix

I have a very odd problem with my new wireless network setup. The computer I'm typing this on now uses a wireless USB adapter. Now I've checked all kinds of settings, both the adapter itself as well as the wireless router (both by SMC) are working flawlessly. This computer didn't have this problem when I wired it right to the cable modem.

The problem is on this computer, at intervals of about 1 minute, the connection will, well sort of disconnect, but the connection to the hub isn't lost.

When this happens, the ping from here to the router will skyrocket to 3000ms, almost 4000 sometimes. It will stay there for a couple seconds, then return to normal, about 2-3ms to the router.

I tried bring this computer right next to the hub to see if distance or interference was an issue. It did the exact same thing.

I also disconnected the ethernet cable on my other computer and used the wireless USB on that computer, running some ping tests. The ping was about the same, 2-3ms average, never jumping higher than 150ms.

These kind of ping spikes of 3000 and up make it impossible to play games online with this computer, which was the whole point of setting up this computer wirelessly.

It almost seems like the USB gets stuck or something at part of its cycle, about once every minute. The only thing I can think of is that there's an issue with the USB ports in this computer. But this computer doesn't seem to have a problem using the adapter, it just does this for seemingly no reason!

So how can I check this out? What can I do to fix this very frustrating problem?

I can go online and stuff just fine, but every now and then, I just get these latency spikes. If it's not something with the port itself, could it just be something with my setup?

I need to know fast, if/and how to fix this problem with what I have, or if I need to take the router and adapter back to CompUSA and get the D-Link router and PCI adapter package.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but if you'd read through my post, you'd have seen that I tried that :rolleyes: The adapter worked perfectly with my other computer.

The ping jumped a couple times on that one too, but hardly as often, and not even a fraction as badly. The ping never went higher than 150ms there.

This is an extremely frustrating problem, I've checked every setting I could think of. It's not a problem with the router or the adapter, they are both working perfectly, but something strange is going on at this end.

Are there any hidden USB settings I could investigate?

Back