• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's with memtest saying my corsair 3200 ram has errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

Has anyone who has an athlon based system have errors with their corsair ram when running memtest. I checked out the readme of memtest and I quote "There have been numerous reports of errors in only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon
systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists
that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is
not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative
memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other
cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher
speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon!" Now obviously corsair isn't cheap ram and furthermore I've been running it at it's default settings 2-2-2-5 at 200fsb. There errors I've gotten seem to be test 5. What should I do?

Have u tried other memory settings besides the ones stated? More relaxed timings or higher voltage? How about telling us what memory u are using and on what mainboard. That might help us help u.

I said I have corsair twin xms 3200 memory set at it's default timings of 2-2-2-5 at it's default speed for 3200 being 200mhz fsb. I'm on an 8rda3+

Try memtest with a low multiplier (like 5x200) and the RAM's default timings. See if you get errors. If you do, you probably have a bad stick. If not, then it probably has to do with the NB, voltages, or cpu.

I did this my with Mushkin PC3200. I ran memtest at 5x200, 2.2.2.5 (on my 8rda+ rev1.1) and one stick consistently failed. All along I thought it was just a lousy overclock. But upon getting the replacement, I tested again, and everything has been peachy since.

Try memtest with a low multiplier (like 5x200) and the RAM's default timings. See if you get errors. If you do, you probably have a bad stick. If not, then it probably has to do with the NB, voltages, or cpu.

I did this my with Mushkin PC3200. I ran memtest at 5x200, 2.2.2.5 (on my 8rda+ rev1.1) and one stick consistently failed. All along I thought it was just a lousy overclock. But upon getting the replacement, I tested again, and everything has been peachy since.

Ok yeah I did something similar to what you suggested. I discovered the ram worked at 190mhz fsb but failed at around 195mhz. Looks like I'm going to try to get my twinxms corsair3200ll ram replaced as that ram is promised to run at least at 200mhz fsb.

Back