• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Device Driver problem driving me CRAZY!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nahmeanz

Please help me out if you can.

My system consists of:

SY-P4X400 DRAGON Ultra Platinum Edition
P4 2.8GHz overclocked to 3.2GHz
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy
Visiontek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti4600
some CD-RW
some DVD-RW
etc.

My problem is my computer restarts on its own randomly all the time. At first I thought it was overheating but the processor temperature never goes over 37 degrees fahrenheit. It usually restarts when I'm downloading or playing music. Is there a compatibility problem with my components? If so, what should I do?

Thanks for any advice.

this type of annoyances are really hard to figure out because there are so many possible areas the problem could be coming from ... i dont see any compatibility issues in your hardware .... plus soyo mobbos are known to be very stable, the only thing i could tell you is to download all the latest drivers for all you hardware and if that fails i would reinstall windows if is not too much a hassle for you

if you reinstall windows and is still happening then it would probably prove that it is a hardware issue

by the way i hope you meant 37deg Celsius !! :)
unless you have some form of supercooling like peltier or phase change

and welcome to oc-forums :)

Thanks for the help so far.

My OS is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
My ram is Corsair DDR400 PC3200.

I'm going to try and update all my drivers, that is if my computer doesn't crash while doing so.

Also, I've been reading the forums and have seen that VIA chips have problems with Creative Labs products. My motherboard is based on the VIA P4X400, do you think that can be causing problems with my Audigy card?

Thanks.

sounds like a power supply issue, those are known to cause random reboots. the problem with creative and via, was trying to get the sound card to work, not random rebooting. dont count that out though, because you never know, but my guess would be power supply.

My power supply unit is an Ernemax 450W. For now, I'll try to update all the drivers. If that doesn't work, then I'll install Windows XP Pro. If that doesn't work, then I'll be back with more questions. Thanks

i got random reboots in seti and that was becuase i had my vcore @ 1.7 and cpu running at 2370mhz now ive got it running 1.7Vore @ 2340mhz now its fully stable

try up your vcore alittle bit more could be that :)

welcometotheforums.JPG

There is a very good chance that the overclcok is causing the problem. If that board is like most other SOYO mobos then even a small change to FSB can cause problems. Run everything at stock for a while before you do anything else.

It may save you a lot of work.

If that IS the problem then pick up a new mobo when you have the cash.

Good luck man!

You could try SiSoft's Sandra and run the performance and diagnostics test and see if that pinpoints possible conflicts. I also run the burn-in suite after I bump up the O'c'ing to check for stability. Also, my 2.8 pentium is running great @ 3.09 but when I tried to step up to 3.2, she locked up during the burn-in suite. I'll go back and fiddle with the backside some more before I raise the front side again.

Back