• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 550 or 480 True Blue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 480 should be more than enough in most cases. What kind of a system are you planning on powering with it?

Processor - 2.6C Pentium 4
Mobo - ABIT IC7-G, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 800MHz Canterwood ATX
Memory - Corsair XMS PC3500 2x512MB With Platinum Silver Heat Spreader
Video Card - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Hard Drive - Maxtor 80gig HD, 7200 RPM, 8MB Cache, Serial ATA 150
OS - Windows XP Professional
DVD Drive - Lite On 16x DVD Drive
CD-RW - Lite On 52x32x52x
Floppy - Samsung 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Case - No PSU Chieftec Server Chasis Case w/ Side Window (One side window fan and two rear fans)
Cooling - Thermalright SLK-900-U
- Antec Case fans With Blue LEDs Lights 4x
- Vantec 92mm Tornado

That's a very demanding looking system. If you've got the dough, I'd have to suggest going for the 550. It should be worth it in the long run.

I think 480 would be fine, but if the price difference isn't much, the 550 couldn't hurt.

I have similiar system and probably draw even more power and my Antec 430W has been more than enough...

i love my true power 550. if i had to do it again i would. you have alot of top end hardware there. fortron is known for their value. antec is known for being the best in psu's. get the 550. that way if you encounter some instability you know your PSU isn't the part flaking out.

I have the 550 as well however, after reading Larva's sticky in this forum, I think it's overkill. TruPowers were designed to deliver full power over all three lines simultaneously and therefore deliver plenty of power regardless of size. I'd say go with the 480 and save some cash.

~THT

Back