• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 1.6 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

My friend seems to be intrested in overclocking his p4 1.6 and wants to know what his limit is. What do you guys think he can overclock his cpu up to? He's using a stock hsf if that helps. Air temps are around 70-80F in his house. Also what should i tell him to download to check his temps for his cpu? His motherboard didn't come with one.

Yeah, it really does matter what model of 1.6 he has... The Willamette 1.6's would be astonishingly lucky to do 2.2ghz even on watercooling. The Northwood cores (1.6A) however should do 2.2ghz probably on stock voltage. Some of those 1.6A's will do 2.6ghz and above if you're lucky...

If the default voltage is 1.5v then it's a Northwood (average overclock in the 2.2 to 2.4 gig range). If the default voltage is 1.75v then it's a Willamette (max O/C probably 2 gig).

Stock heatsink. With his WC he should gain about 400 Mhz. Do you know the Spec number of the chip? (5 digit alphanumeric on the chip)

I'm not aware of any program that tells the Spec number. You will just have to look on the chip or look at the batch number that came with it (if you still have it). As for the temps, you can use motherboard monitor 5. Which can be found here:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

run WCPUID and there will be a little box that says stepping number if it says 7 you definately have a northwood if it says anything below that I don't know

EDIT: acutally it says stepping ID

The 1.60as were a crapshoot for overclocking. I recently got rid of all mine, and they were Golden chips that did 166-170 fsb, or around 2.66+ gig. They were pack date 4-01s, I believe. Most of them will do much less, around 150-160 fsb.

No, I don't understand why people DON'T overclock. Most the CPUs are good for a good 30% overclock or more, depends on how much voltage you want to apply. I would guess his chip is good for at least 155 fsb, that will give him 2.48 gig. But those chips needed voltage so you'll need around 1.65-1.75 volts. Mine needed 1.72-1.75 to get that high.

As for your XP1800, hard to say. If you can overclock yours to 2200+ mhz it will beat his 2.48 gigger. The XP1700 low voltage chips will do 2000-2200 mhz at default voltage. AMD chips do better at certain things/calculations versus P4s. It also depends on how high a DDR your friend can do on his board, as well as how fast his CAS settings are. Or in your case, if you can do 200+ fsb, etc.

I run my 1.6a @2.5 at 1.5v with the stock hsf and ASIII. I think it would do more but my motherboard only supports a 156FSB. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, every chip is different. However, if you have a version produced near the end of the chips' life cycle, you probably stand a better chance of obtaining a higher overclock.

I have a 1.6A that I have been using for a year and a half at 2.54Ghz at 1.675 volts with a Swiftech MCX 478 cooler. Stable in all tests, except with my modded ATI Radeon 9700 NP, I get random reboots in heavy games like UT2k3. Put back in the Ti4200, and I am ok. Strange, because I am using a 430 W Antec Truepower.

Using the 1.6A on my trusty Abit TH7 II with Rambus ram. My CPU will not go any higher than 160fsb regardless of voltage or memory voltage increases.

1.6A is a great overclocker with the right chip and done correctly.

Back