• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is having the sides off my case good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

i was just painting my case and i took all th sides off (including the front bezel) and iwas wondering if that do nething to my pc components. Anything wrose than dust?? my moms *******g at me like crazy about this
________
ZOLOFT PREGNANCY

Last edited:
No , taking off the covers/sides & bezel and still using the comp will not hurt anything ... the cover is just a protective shell to keep accidents from smashing your pc parts, and promote better airflow/cooling to your parts ... the sides are not necessary for the computers operation .

mine off and its fine
its actually better
better cooling and more airflow outakeand intake

If your sides are off and you are getting better cooling then you are doing something terribly wrong with your airflow ... When u put the sides on your temps should be lower ; because your should be moving fresh air through the case ... if this isnt happeneing then u really need to look at changing up your airflow ....

lol as stated a couple times above your fine , as for your mom tell her just not to stick her fingers in it and everyone will be fine ... lol

Also remember that cases protect against electronic interference. With a case door off your sending waves off into god knows where. Its not really a big deal, but sometimes crazy things happen. Also I'm pretty sure it causes cancer and makes you steril. :D

eh?? i never knew cases block uv rays.. i thought lead did but not... plastic? or aluminum or steel.

Well, they do not send out very much interference, but its something to keep in mind. I once talked to an engineer at Gateway, and he told me that major OEMs needed to have their computer cases FCC approved, so that they do not send out any waves that could scramble things.

A good example, would be a long time ago when windows became popular. Some guy did a window mod, and all the sudden his garage door remote stopped working. Then the neighbor next to him suddenly had a garage door that would open and close when ever the computer was turned on. He put foil over the window, and eveything went back to normal.

This was a famous story about 2 years ago, so I'm sure someone else remebers it.

cack01 said:
Well, they do not send out very much interference, but its something to keep in mind. I once talked to an engineer at Gateway, and he told me that major OEMs needed to have their computer cases FCC approved, so that they do not send out any waves that could scramble things.

A good example, would be a long time ago when windows became popular. Some guy did a window mod, and all the sudden his garage door remote stopped working. Then the neighbor next to him suddenly had a garage door that would open and close when ever the computer was turned on. He put foil over the window, and eveything went back to normal.

This was a famous story about 2 years ago, so I'm sure someone else remebers it.

thats hillarious. i'd love to be able to mess with my neighbors like that.

usualy the interfearance isnt much .

there is one part that dust does sometimes damage .
fans

some fans (usualy NB fans)are not well made and if enough dust gets in them , they will stop working

not a big deal as i havent seen it happen to a cpu fan only bridge fans like mine now

heh... my dad's P1 fan was a spinning disk of dust. it was amazing that the HS didnt catch on fire (with all the dust, and i was dern hot). i blew it out (bad mistake) and it cooled down (the HS)

cack01 said:
Also remember that cases protect against electronic interference. With a case door off your sending waves off into god knows where. Its not really a big deal, but sometimes crazy things happen. Also I'm pretty sure it causes cancer and makes you steril. :D

are u kidding?!?! *is now keeping his case together so he can stay steril* :( :eek:

Back