• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Preformance hit on 8500(9100)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I have done extensive testing and overclocking on my 9100, and gotten around 9800 3dmarks, which is not bad for a 250/200mhz card. Between nasty looking and beautiful I get about a 500mark dif. What realy puzzles me is that people say that AF has a big preformance hit, but it all the tests i've done(ut2003,3dmark,SS Se) I lost roughly 1-2fps between no AF and 16x. Anti-aliasing wise, from none to 2x, I lose about 5fps(70 to 65fps), and from 2x to 4x I lose another 10. Does this seem odd to anyone? If not, Im just gonna crank em all up and leave em there. UT2003 at 1152/864 16x AF 2X AA Highest settings looks pretty darn good, especialy at 60fps.

So what are you really asking? From reading your post it sounds like you have already answered your own question ;) .

Sorry, I have a hard time believing that UT2003 runs 60 fps at those settings. Is that a flyby score from benchmark or a "real" score?

Anisotropic filtering is indeed almost free with R8500-9200.

Yuriman said:
I have done extensive testing and overclocking on my 9100, and gotten around 9800 3dmarks, which is not bad for a 250/200mhz card. Between nasty looking and beautiful I get about a 500mark dif. What realy puzzles me is that people say that AF has a big preformance hit, but it all the tests i've done(ut2003,3dmark,SS Se) I lost roughly 1-2fps between no AF and 16x. Anti-aliasing wise, from none to 2x, I lose about 5fps(70 to 65fps), and from 2x to 4x I lose another 10. Does this seem odd to anyone? If not, Im just gonna crank em all up and leave em there. UT2003 at 1152/864 16x AF 2X AA Highest settings looks pretty darn good, especialy at 60fps.

The RAdeon's have almost NO performance hit w/ their implementaion of AF. I think their selective algorithm was the smartest thing they've ever done. True, it doesn't apply aniso to every surface, only where needed:)

The FSAA on the Radeon, however, is useless to me in any setting over 2x. It's great FSAA, but the performance hit is just tooooo big @ 4x or higher. It's a great card, loved mine for a couple of yeras b-4 I finally grabbed an R9500non-pro

Strangely enough, AA and AF make my image look worse. Sure, they take away the jaggies, but they make the text in BF1942 look weird and they stick big white spots around the edge of my screen. Not cool. I leave 'em off.

I have noticed a few areaa like of that, I though it could have been my overclock. I guess I'll turn the AA off. Also, It only gets about 45-50fps with 4x AA. What I realy wanted to know was if it was realy doing the AF at all, because the is no preformance hit.

Shade00 said:
Strangely enough, AA and AF make my image look worse. Sure, they take away the jaggies, but they make the text in BF1942 look weird and they stick big white spots around the edge of my screen. Not cool. I leave 'em off.

Umm, you might just want to use AF then. AA is what *might* blur the text, but AF will only make textures sharper. Try no AA (still can't imagine why), but tons of AF. You'll like it much better.

Back