• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help a 56k'er!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Butmonkey

Registered
Windows XP will not recognize my Diamond SupraExpress 56k external modem. I don't know what's up, because I can clearly see in device manager that the serial (com) ports are "on." Yet, XP fails to recognize a modem when everything's plugged in and turned on. Any help, please?

Also, the modem makes this weird buzzing noise when I turn it on. I hope it's not related...

I have that same modem, it rocks. First of all open your dial properties and make sure your connection is configured to use that modem. Also make sure the area code and such and all options are configured right. Make sure you plug the phoneline into teh right port, there are 2. Also when you go to dial, there should be 1 red light on indicating power, soon as you start to dial, a 2nd one will come on.

let me know some more about how you have things setup and what you are experiencing.

I had one of these modems and had the same problems getting it configured. Getting the right driver is crucial.

I don't think I explained my problem well enough. I have it plugged in, the power light's on, but Windows (XP) doesn't "recognize" it. Meaning, when I get into windows, it doesn't say new hardware found, and when I go to "find new hardware," it doesn't find any... I just really don't understand. Can you guys help me out in any way? It appears you have knowledge of this kinda stuff... heh

All help is greatly appreciated.

Back