• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing for folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

with folding does it matter how you overclock the cpu? is it better to have a high multi or high fsb? or doesn't it matter as long as you have a high clock?

I think that it wouldnt matter as long as the end GHz are the same. However, if you can keep your mem insync with the fsb, then the higher fsb will be alittle better in mem intense apps. But thats just my opinion....

The fsb does help with gromacs if i remember right, from the added bandwidth. Overall though, it doesn't matter how you overclock it, it's the total mhz that matters.

I think that high FSB will help, but no big difference. Maybe sometime I will run some tests and see.

High FSB allows for more output, becuase the multiplier really has no say in anything except for the end MHz/GHz, whereas a higher FSB means more work ability. This is what I think came from a past thread on this...not sure if it's true information I say, but I always go for a high fsb and a lower multi...

Fold and Frag on
Brian

High FSB is always the best goal. FSB gives memory bandwidht AND CPU speed. Multiplier only gives CPU speed. But for most cases, go for the spot that gives you highest CPU speed. Memory bandwidth gives preformance increase, but not as much so that it is worth lowering your CPU speed in order to get it.

Hi noCode, a quiet word about your sig before a moderator or administrator has a noisy word about your sig :D ....

The only links allowed to be in a sig for regular members without special dispensation are links to overclockers.com sanctioned sites such as forum threads the team pages etc, so 2 of your links are okay. I see the other one, despite it's suggestive URL, is only your personal computers page, the best place to put that is the section in your profile for your webpage, which will then display a www button under your posts. I am unsure whether one is disallowed from displaying an email address in ones sig, but there's also a place in the profile for that, where you can select your email address to be viewable to everybody, that adds another button I think.

regards,

Road Warrior

Geee! Didn't know that, will remove them. Thanks for the warning. Sorry, and i must point out that i DO have read the rules, must just have forgotten that part.

PS. Yes, ain't that domain name great? :D You should see the looks on peoples faces when you give them that email address!

Back