Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

Clicking WD 80Gb SE?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-16-03, 08:12 AM Thread Starter   #1
PunkRawk911

Clicking WD 80Gb SE?

Hey guys,
Well, when I built this computer about 8 months ago or so, I had to RMA the harddrive twice before I finally got one that did not give off a high pitched whine which I could easily hear from 20+ feet away. Right now I'm running my case with the side panel off and sometimes, but not of (yet?) the harddrivwe will make repeated but quiet ticking noises while it's seeking. If I place my finger on the side of the drive, even just lightly, the ticking stops until I take my finger away. Should I RMA this harddrive, will it be getting worse, or is this something I shouldn't worry about?
PunkRawk911 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-16-03, 11:54 AM   #2
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

I don't know if that's the 'click of death' or not (I've never had a HD die on me, so I don't know what it sounds like), but stuff like that I've assumed to be normal. It's probably because I've got a lot of really old computer who's HDs click (both soft like yours, and quite loud), so I assume that to be normal.

My drive (same as yours) clicks very lightly durring seek, and has been running OK (no bad sectors popping up, stable, ect.) with the click for about 5 months now.

But I stongly point out that I've never actually heard the click of death!! So... What I think is normal may just mean that all my computers are going to die soon (though they've been running fine with the click for a LONG time) Anybody got a recording of the click of death?

JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-16-03, 12:11 PM   #3
CalsonicGTR

10 Year Badge

I have recently had the click of death occur on my 40GB Maxtor (which is the second time in one year ). From what you have described, it sounds like your drive is fine. If the clicks start to get loud, then you are going to have problems. Also, (at least with my comp) the motherboard will not be able to recognize the drive anymore once the clicks start. I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but keep an eye on it

Main System:
---------------------
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz - AsRock Z68 Pro3-M - 8GB Corsair XMS3 - Procolor 6950 2GB - Corsair HX520 PSU - Crucial M4 128GB/WD Black 750GB

HTPC:
---------------------
Core i3 2100 - Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 - 8GB Corsair XMS3 - Corsair CX430 PSU - Crucial M4 64GB/Seagate Green 2TB - Ceton Quad Cablecard Tuner

My Heatware
CalsonicGTR is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-16-03, 12:23 PM Thread Starter   #4
PunkRawk911

ok, thanks.
PunkRawk911 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-16-03, 05:13 PM   #5
Super Nintendo

ya I would call western digitally and see if you can get another hdd. Because I had that happen on my IBM deskstar and lost all my infomation twice. But the good thing about western digitally is that they will send you a hdd before you have to send yours back so you can get all your data which is nice. IBM didn't do that.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray