• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dmac2003

Hey everyone I'm new to these boards and I was wondering how far I could over clock my P III 600 MHz
along with my NVidia TNT 2 Pro. Thanks for any help.

dmac2003 said:
Hey everyone I'm new to these boards and I was wondering how far I could over clock my P III 600 MHz
along with my NVidia TNT 2 Pro. Thanks for any help.

what kind of motherboard do you have? If it won't allow you to change the frontside bus in the bios, your other option is to do it using software such as CPUCOOL.
I had a 450 I ran at 557MHZ using CPUCool, which allowed me to change the frontside bus. This was great because intel does not allow you to change the FSB in the bios, but CPUCool allowed me to change it through its software. You can't do this with all MB's though. You'll need to know what kind of PLL you have in the board (phase locked loop, it controls the frequency of the board)... http://www.podien.onlinehome.de/FSB.HTM check here for a list of supported PLL's. If your board's PLL is in there, downlaod cpu cool, select the PLL of your board and change the front side bus a little at time. If you set it to high, your computer will reboot. CPUCool is great because if you screw up, you can still reboot and you can change the FSB in a matter of a few seconds.
As for the TNT 2 pro, you'd be better off buying another video card. $100 or less will get you something nice.
If you do manage to overclock it, try and do something to keep the case cool. Make sure you have enough fans in there, take the case cover off when its on or something.

Back