• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MMORPG - Which to pick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

I'm finally getting my broadband back at home after around a 3 month hiatus. Now that I'm back I think I want to jump into the world of the MMORPG. I played UO back in the day, but haven't tried any of the new ones.

Any idea which one to try? I have thought seriously about Dark Age of Camelot as I have several buddies that play. The only one I am sure about is Galaxies. I DO NOT want to play Galaxies. I was in the beta and thought what they did with it was absolutely absurd. Unless I see something significant, there is nothing that would make me want to spend a monthly fee to be bored out of my mind creating a useless character.

Besides that, can anyone suggest anything?

Sorry to say, but Everquest would be a good one to start with. It's been around for a while so it's got the most content. Plus there are still some good people that play it. But, when you get into the higher end of the game, you need to have a good guild to do much, especially with the Planes of Power expansion.

DAOC and AC were waaaaay unbalanced and now suck.

I played Galaxies for a few days and OMG...the WORST MMORPG I HAVE EVER PLAYED! Ugh what a waste of time.

TommyHolly said:
DAOC and AC were waaaaay unbalanced and now suck.

I played Galaxies for a few days and OMG...the WORST MMORPG I HAVE EVER PLAYED! Ugh what a waste of time.

I don't think I have ever seen a more informative post! :D

I play Everquest. Been playing it for about 3 years or so now. Haven't tried any of the other MMORPG's, but people who quit EQ to try something else, always come back in a month or so.

EQ has tons of content and they have made it really easy for new players to jump into the game with help commands and nice newbie quests. I went from level 1 to 2 in a couple hours just doing some newbie quests on a character i made when i was bored.

Since i have been playing so long, the awe has worn off a long time ago, but i remember when i first started and didn't know anything. It was amazing.

EQ isn't without it's problems mind you, but most problems really don't come to play until your upper 50 levels and higher. Like stated before, once you get into your upper 50's you really need to be in a good guild to take advantage of the higher content or "raiding". These guilds usually require a minimun level and time commitment each week.

However, if you are more into roleplaying or just playing for fun, most guilds will be fine once you make friends. Grouping can be difficult sometimes and may require a long amount of time to get. If you can't commit a few hours a day to play, chances are, it will be hard to get experience. if you like to solo, most classes can solo to level 30, then it gets a little tougher.

Anyhow, not trying to sell EQ to you. Just giving you my perspective since it's the only thing i've played.

Thanks, I've been looking into EQ a bit, it looks fun. I might wait until EQ2 comes out and jump on then. World of Warcraft looks fun, especially since it will come with Blizzards usual polish.

Games crossed off the list:
Galaxies
Planetside
Shadowbane
EVE

why did you cross planetside off your list? i looked into the game a bit when it started to be developed, and the game concept looked pretty good.

I would honestly wait for EQ2 or WoWw to come out. Everquest is a great game but the vast vast majority of players that are in their lower levels are twinks with top of the line gear or friends of high end players who can give them nice stuff. If you are starting EQ without a high level char or high level friends it can get a bit unfun due to most of the lower level zones hardly being populated at all making it difficult to find a group.

I crossed planetside off because of many reasons. A large reason being that you can specialize in all vehicles as a high level character (or so I'm told). Kinda takes the fun out of specializing in something when every other high level person can do the same thing you can. Also, from what I understand, the exp table is broken for groups, making it more profitable to head out on your own, ruining the point of a mmorpg. Capturing bases gives xp only (and in little amounts), so the motivation to head out to conquer a landmark is not very high, leading to a lot of guard duty.

The biggest reason out of all of them is that its not xp based, its skill based (hand-eye coordination). Its like a giant neverending game of tribes. Don't get me wrong, tribes is great, but as an mmorpg? [poem]No thanks, a monthly fee for what I can play for free sounds like a bad deal to me. [/poem]

I want World Of Warcraft !.. :D

Gotta Love Frozen Throne To Death .... rank 1st together with cs on my game list :p (oH FF series .. :D )

just hold on to your monthly payments for now and wait for WoW or Horizons *which looks to be sweet*... i played ultima online for several years but ive retired from that due to the plethora of 12 year olds... DAoC is decent.. gets kinda old after a while... as far as i see it theres nothing out there thats that enticing... just remember if you start a new game now are you really going to play it anymore after WoW or the like comes out.. if not ure just wasting time and money

Played EQ for 2years+ had 200+days logged (RL time) it's addective as hell. I quit over Xmas break and havn't gone back since. I now have a life again and sadly am looking forward to playing EQ2.

I'd do anything to be able to find an RPG where people actually roleplay!

You ever play Neverwinter Nights? I personally haven't, but it seems to me that it would be a virtual Dungeons & Dragons version of the table top game.

Problem is you can either join up with other folks you don't know who probably just want to kill stuff and get loot. But, you can make your own stories so if you have a bunch of friends who are into that sorta thing, you can have someone "DM" a story on the computer while you guys follow the story together and roleplay and what have you.

From what i understand, there are plenty of game mods that you can just download and adventure in, or you can make your own. They also just released an expansion pack, but unsure if it's only for the single player, or new stuff for both single and online play.

just a suggestion :)

Back