• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.66/533mhz vs. 2.6/800mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Well folks Im thrilled to finally say im getting a P4 2.6. Im planning on the p4p800DLX Asus board. My question is this. . . . from past experience with p3 chip getting a lower rated FSB yields a better chance of a good overclock. so do i get the 2.66/533 or do i get the 2.6/800. which do you think will yeild the most chance of a higher overclock. Im thinking the 2.66/533 will go further than 2.6/800 will. . . thoughts, bashes, and opinions are welcome.

With the 2.66 you might be able to get a higher OC in CPU Mhz, but your FSB/memory bandwidth will still be way behind compared to a 2.6C OCed to like 250FSB running Dual-Channel Memory setup. If you basically just browse the web and do some emailing it won't make much of a difference, but for 3DGaming/SETI/Folding etc. it will, especially when you have Hyper-Threading enabled on the 2.6C. My 2.8C @3.5Ghz with HT pumps out TWO SETI work-units every 2hours, 20mins average!

so if i get the 800mhz chip and good mem its a better deal? Im a power user and play hardware intensive games too (imagine that) I guess im looking for total overclock as well as system performance. Im trying to get the best bang for the buck. . and i do plan on using the dual mem channels. . . will split 512 with 2 kingston 256/400s. . . . and yes i want the good bus speed. as the sytem i want to scream. thanks for the good advice. . im hoping to hear more opinions too. . .thanks.

You'll probably get more mhz out of a 2.6/800 because it's the newer D1 stepping. 2.66/533s are C1 at best and so you're somewhat limited.

And you get loads and loads more bandwidth with a 2.6/800. My vote goes to that one.

I have a 22 dollar US price difference between the 2.6/800 and the 2.66/533. so the cost isnt too bad. Im just looking for a good overclock and good system performance. . . NOT that I can go wrong here either way Im just asking for concensus. THNX

Zuzzz said:
I have a 22 dollar US price difference between the 2.6/800 and the 2.66/533. so the cost isnt too bad. Im just looking for a good overclock and good system performance. . . NOT that I can go wrong here either way Im just asking for concensus. THNX

2.66----about 3.2 max OC

2.6c----about 3.2 min OC

if both cpus OC to 3.2ghz then the 2.6c will be at least 5% faster at everything(thats if both cpus are on a dual mobo)...then there is HT.

if your going to buy now, then buy new....2.6c
you want old, go AMD.

just my 2 cents.

mica

so far it looks like ill spill out the extra 20 bucks and get the 2.6c. Thanks for all the comments.

Back