• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I replace fx 5200 with ati 9100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itchie

Here's what happened: A few weeks ago I bought a Geforce FX 5200 128 mb at a local computer store, it came to about $170 (Canadian) with tax. I know this isn't the best card but I didn't have the option of buying online back then, and this was the best card in my city that I could afford so I bought it.

Then yesterday a friend offered to let me use his credit card so I searched online and found a Canadian site with some really good deals, I can buy the Radeon 9100 128 mb for $105 CDN. My question is, should I buy it? Will a 9100 be a big improvement over a 5200, or will the difference be negligible? After I get the 9100 I would sell the 5200 to the local computer store, I figure I should get at least enough money for it to cover the price of the 9100. Basically I am looking for a card which will give at least decent performance in games for the next year or so, but I am very low on money.

My system:
Athlon XP 2200+
MSI K7N2 Nforce 2
256 mb ddr
Windows 2000

The 9100 would be an improvement of up to say 30-40% faster unfortunately i have not heard much about connect3d.

I've heard and seen connect3d products around on different websites, but I don't know much about them.

Back