• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long did it take to save up for your Computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich_T

Hi all,

I just wanted to know how long it took you to save up for the computer your using.

I'll start:

Becasue i'm at college and can only fit in a part time job im still saving :( hopefully will save upto £1000 and then buy all the parts.

Rich

I tend to upgrade part by part buying new components about every other month so I dont feel it too bad all at once. If you want a new PC sooner rather than later then this method works the best.

If you already have an old PC then all of your old parts are probably usable except motherboard, processor and memory.

I've purchased the majority of my components over time. The biggest expense for one time was the mobo/CPU/HS, followed closely by the RAM, then the video card. I've had my hard drive for over two years. I've had my cd burner for four. :eek:

I just buy everything I need when I get paid... But I dont have too many Bills.. Live in a Place for free right now .. got a Car payment.. and insurance... cell phone.. thats about it ... and plenty every two weeks to buy a new computer.... Just bought a

P4 2.6c
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
TwinX 3700 Corsair DDR 466 ram

Total Cost.. around $750

Beast Of Blight said:
I can't keep a positive balance in my cheque account, much less save for a computer.

i feel your pain :D i never buy all my parts at the same time, i just buy em one by one over time. sucks living paycheck to paycheck :( ill probably keep this rig till around the end of the year when the A64s start getting cheaper and pawn it off for a nice chunk to one of my dads unsuspecting friends :D i sold one of his friends a 1.3GHz duron/A7V133/512MB PC133 for $300 installed along with my old hercules 3D prophet 64MB SDR. that was about march of this year...then i got my 2500+ kickin' ;) i know it doesnt seem right to pawn off your stuff to people for top dollar like that, but he doesnt play games and it was 3x as fast as his old PIII 450. hes quite happy with his purchase...and so was i :D

Computer upgrades are a constant cost for me. I stay a few generations behind (see sig), so its never a huge cost. It's just a coupla hundred dollars here and there. I want a new monitor one of these days (my 17" is about 7 or 8 years old and I want something bigger and better), that's gonna be a huge cost, but probably worth it. Gonna have to save for at least 3-6 months for that, assuming I don't have any other major expenses, which I probably will :-/

I built this computer when I got my bonus from the Air Force. Since then I have slowly upgraded here and there. I went added another 60gb hdd for a raid0 and I've gone from a 2200 to a 2400 (i know nothing big but it was a quick fix for a troubled cpu). I went from a volcano 9 to a slk-800a, and I've gone from a cheap aluminum case with a 360w psu to an Aopen HT08 fulltower with an Antec 400w psu. Next I plan on getting a new motherboard and dual channel ddr of the XMS flavor. My video card will remain the same for a while. I like it and am able to play my games on it. When the time comes I'll get a better one.

L337 M33P said:
^ LOL

I have money now, but need a bank account with a switch card for online transactions :(

£800 ought to do it

Which site is that then? All UK sites take solo aswell dont they?

Rich

Sir Barton said:

i feel your pain :D i never buy all my parts at the same time, i just buy em one by one over time. sucks living paycheck to paycheck :( ill probably keep this rig till around the end of the year when the A64s start getting cheaper and pawn it off for a nice chunk to one of my dads unsuspecting friends :D i sold one of his friends a 1.3GHz duron/A7V133/512MB PC133 for $300 installed along with my old hercules 3D prophet 64MB SDR. that was about march of this year...then i got my 2500+ kickin' ;) i know it doesnt seem right to pawn off your stuff to people for top dollar like that, but he doesnt play games and it was 3x as fast as his old PIII 450. hes quite happy with his purchase...and so was i

But I have a problem..

I can't get rid of old computers. I just can't stand the thought of someone elses fingers touching her sensitive ports. :eek:

Thus is why I still have a [ altho currently non-working ] 486dx 66Mhz computer in my closet with a 16color VGA monitor and daisy wheel printer :eek:

i haven't built a completely new computer since 2001. the original specs were
DFI AK75 motherboard
Duron 750Mhz (OCed to at least 850Mhz, usually higher)
Dragon Orb 3+ heatsink
256MB PC133 (could run at 153Mhz at Cas2)
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Visiontek GF2 MX400

that rig has been upgraded part by part to what's in my sig. i've gone through two motherboards (Gigabyte GA7-VRX then a NF7-S), three videocards (GF3TI200 then 9000Pro for a day then to a 9700np) and a few ram upgrades (went from 256MB PC133 to 256MB PC2100, then to 512MB PC2700 and finally to 512MB PC3200).

i don't want to know how much i've spent with all the upgrading.....

well, i never buy a new computer, I just upgrade my computer until there are no longer any parts from the original. I am still using my 5200 40gig hard drive from the original as a backup :D

Its been about 2 years since Ive been building my own- with probably 100 upgrades to get to where I am now ith it.

Sir Barton said:

i feel your pain :D i never buy all my parts at the same time, i just buy em one by one over time. sucks living paycheck to paycheck :( ill probably keep this rig till around the end of the year when the A64s start getting cheaper and pawn it off for a nice chunk to one of my dads unsuspecting friends :D i sold one of his friends a 1.3GHz duron/A7V133/512MB PC133 for $300 installed along with my old hercules 3D prophet 64MB SDR. that was about march of this year...then i got my 2500+ kickin' ;) i know it doesnt seem right to pawn off your stuff to people for top dollar like that, but he doesnt play games and it was 3x as fast as his old PIII 450. hes quite happy with his purchase...and so was i :D

Don't feel to bad. It's all what its worth to that person. A guy I work with, new to the shop, just purchased a computer for $300 from someone else in the shop. This was before he new I was the tech head in the shop. He spent $300 on a Cyrix 133, I'm not sure what the ram count or the hdd space was, but still he got ripped. He wondered why Windows XP was running so crappy and why he couldn't play star wars galaxies :bang head geez, so now he's giving me a $1000 budget to build him a nice computer, I'm gonna take care of him and make sure he gets a great deal. I feel bad for the poor kid, but at least I can make sure he's taken care of on this deal.

I only buy when the hardware I'm replacing actually offers a huge performance increase.

I have been buying items over the last few months in anticipation of DDRII being introduced, so when it actually happens all I'll need to buy is the memory, I'm going to buy a Hyperthreading Processor soon.

I have the new mobo (IC7-G) and a pile of parts sitting in the corner.

Reason the parts are laying around is I plan to upgrade the whole computer in one shot and try to do it right the first time rather than disassemble and reassemble 10 times.

I said to myself over a year ago I am not upgrading anything or installing anything until DDRII is here, well it looks like that may not be to much longer.

It took me two days. When I decided to stop using my parents PII 266, I sold put an ad to sell my motorcycle that had been collecting dust in the garage for years, sold it 2 days later and had enough to buy evrything.

i love christmas and birthdays they mean pc upgrades haha or ps2 gamesmy comp was bought with birthday $$$

Back