• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon MP question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Apologies if this is a frequent question but I need a tailored answer.

Can an Athlon MP Chip run singly in a single processor board?

If so, does it need a mod of any kind?

Will ANY MP chip run in ANY board?

How does it work?

they're supposedly able to run in a single cpu board without problems, according to many different people I've talked to
but...I tried to use an L5 modded XP (which runs perfect in my duallie) and it wouldn't boot in an nforce2 board but worked fine once I removed the L5 mod
but...I told this to one person that happens to have the same nforce2 board and he said he didn't have a prob running an MP in it

Mp processors will run perfectly in a single processor board. Actually it is believed that amd cherry picks the best processors out of batches to make them into mp's.

I tried to use an L5 modded XP (which runs perfect in my duallie) and it wouldn't boot in an nforce2 board but worked fine once I removed the L5 mod

Something didn't go perfectly with the mod I would imagine :)

not too sure
I L5 modded it to test it in the duallie to make sure it was running as an MP then threw it in the nforce2 board to see how far it'd overclock so I could L3 mod it to put it back in the duallie but like I said, it wouldn't work 'til I removed the L5 mod

8RDA latest bios. I have a barton 2500+ in here with L5 mod (originally destinined for my K7D but I found a better OC stepping). On boot it says XP and CPUID says XP. I don't know if it was properly L5ed though (I guess it was becasue its sister proc which I did at the same time is a MP now), or nforce2 doesn't know how to distinguish a XP from a MP.

How do you mod the XP into MP? I know you need mod the L5
well I guess my question is what do you use to mod the L5?

Thank you

d0z said:
How do you mod the XP into MP? I know you need mod the L5
well I guess my question is what do you use to mod the L5?

Thank you

Please read the sticky called "The MP, XP, Thunderbird and Duron SMP answer."

bulk88 said:
8RDA latest bios. I have a barton 2500+ in here with L5 mod (originally destinined for my K7D but I found a better OC stepping). On boot it says XP and CPUID says XP. I don't know if it was properly L5ed though (I guess it was becasue its sister proc which I did at the same time is a MP now), or nforce2 doesn't know how to distinguish a XP from a MP.

Most single CPU boards don't distinguish between XP and MP. They consider both to be XP's.

modenaf1 said:
ROFLOL!!! :D :D

um cj winnit, you do know posting it in one or the other forums is okay, you dont need to do it in 5 different forums lol ;) :p

What can I Say except "I'm thorough?" :D

Anyway I only posted it in two so :p

Back