• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stoopid quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

Can I run an mp 1200mhz with a modded palamino @1533mhz? If not could I overclock the mp or underclock the palamino? This should be possible as I will hopefully be getting 2 mp 1200s anyway so as I can have one folding and one gaming? The other thing I wondered is wether you can set how much of which CPU is used yourself? Like if I wanted the slower one to be folding and the faster one to be gaming could I do that? Assuming that you can run 2 speeds :eh?:

That wasnt too clear, what I meant was it should be possible as I will be able to set the speeds of the processors in seperate instances, having the athlon in my normal comp and the mps in the dual. If anyone knows about the mixing speed thing please help I have some right ideas for this thing. Thanks.

Yeah, if you mod the two CPU's to be the same multi and mod the Pally for SMP, they ~should~ run together, just fine. Their default Vcore needs to be the same, too, but I don't think that's a problem. I believe both of those chips have default Vcore of 1.75.

MP1200's are supposedly great overclockers. I would overclock it by itself, to see what it's capable of, then match the other CPU to it. Off the top of my head, I would think that it is probably capable of 1533 MHz (11.5*133). Give that a shot. If it works, then all you have to do is mod your XP for SMP and toss it in there.

Thanks that sounds like exactly what Im looking to achieve. Hopefully Im going to use his as an excuse to ge a DDR setup, ie an Asus dual CPU board, then use all the cheaper older components of my SDRAM system to make a folder, and have the dual as a folder on one CPU and gamer on the other. W00T!

I belive they must have the SAME FSB and voltage, But they can have different multipliers. I haven't tried this first hand, but my my K7D manuel says "2. To install DUAL CPUs on the board, you must use the same types of CPUs running at the same FSB frequency." Go figure. If I build another Dual Athlon I let you know.

Thanks Bulk. I just realised they cant have the same multi as they are different speeds and the same fsb buuut, Im thinking Ill just put both the mps in and set it to 133*11.5, then just swap one for the modded xp and jimmy jams away its all good to go.

Just so you know, the MSI K7D Master is the ONLY dual AMD board that allows multiplier control. On other boards, if they support two different multiplier chips, they will default to the lower of the two multipliers. This is downward compatibility.

You can mod the multi on the chip, itself, though. Read the sticky called "The MP, XP, Thunderbird and Duron SMP answer." It has links to articles and threads on modding CPU's, for SMP, multiplier, and Vcore.

Cheers for that info. Do you think I should seek one out or just get an Asus and do the wire or pencil trick?

The pencil trick is pretty flaky and doesn't work, at all, on T-breds and Bartons (I can't remember whether it works on Palomino's, or not.

The socket wire mod is a good possibility, though. That should work with any board. It's time consuming, though. I did one the other day, just to see how long it would take. It took a lot of time, but it worked perfectly, afterwards.

My two favorite AMD SMP boards are the MSI and the Asus, in that order. The Asus is a good board, though. If you can get it pretty cheap and don't mind the extra work for multipliers, then go for it.

Yeh pencil doesnt work on palaminos I tried it :\. If the Asus really is a decen board then Im going for that and the wire trick because they stock refurb ones at ebuyer.co.uk for cheap. This should be the first step inmy change to DDR, plus I think that board can take sdram too soo I can use my old memory to get it running. Im so excited. Incase you havent noticed there is a thread in the folding teams section called "anyone with a lot of time and money" about an auction I found on ebay for 52 athlon mp 1200mhz. anyone in this section should reallly check it out because we need more people to chip in.

You can't use SDRAM in that board, at all.

I recommend Samsung Registered ECC PC2700. It allows good FSB overclocking and it will be usable on Opteron boards, if you ever decide to get one. Also, it is cheaper than Crucial Registered ECC PC2100.

Damn I must have read it wrong. Stinger. There was a consumer review on ebuyer by a guy sayinghe was using unregistered pc3200 though. Is that possible?

Bigdogbmx said:
Damn I must have read it wrong. Stinger. There was a consumer review on ebuyer by a guy sayinghe was using unregistered pc3200 though. Is that possible?

Yeah, you can use up to two sticks of Unbuffered RAM or up to four sticks of Registered RAM.

Unless you already have some memory you want to use, I recommend Registered RAM for two reasons. First, if you ever want to upgrade to more than two sticks of RAM, you HAVE to use ALL Registered memory. Second, the Opteron boards out, so far, REQUIRE Registered memory. There is no indication that they will run AT ALL on unbuffered. I say, get Samsung Registered ECC PC2700, today, overclock and be happy. Next year, if you want an Opteron system, when the prices come down, you will already have compatible memory.

Back