• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe temp. for 1.333ghz Tbird?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsmi

Registered
I just OC'ed my 1.333ghz tbird to 1.496ghz, with 1.85v, 11x136.
It's runs at 55-60c under 100% load. The system is always under full load, due to running Seti @home 24 hours a day. Is this a safe temp? I have a case fan, a turbine fan in a pci slot, and on the cpu, i have a Thermaltake Volcano 6 Cu.

Is this a safe temp?

Man thoser T'bird's are hot. I dont think that 55C - 60C will kill it but it is definatley not the optimal operating temp for an overclocked CPU.

I had a 1.33 tbird that I ran at 1500 mhz temps were in the low 60's at full load. It still runs to this day though it has a chipped core. I'd say don't worry bout it. as long as its stable thats all that matters.

Yeah, it's perfectly stable. I've had it like this for two days, under 100% load, using it for normal stuff, and it's fine. I'm posting on it right now. It's just a little scary when I touch the heatsink, and it burns.

Well, I just hit 62c under full load, so I reset it to normal speed. But, even at normal speed, it runs at 53c. I think theres something not right here. And this is a brand new chip. The fan is a Thermaltake 6 Cu.

dsmi said:
Well, I just hit 62c under full load, so I reset it to normal speed. But, even at normal speed, it runs at 53c. I think theres something not right here. And this is a brand new chip. The fan is a Thermaltake 6 Cu.

NO WONDER!! I had one of those, they dont work too good. In fact, I have a k6-3 that runs hot with one of those, I dont trust it on anything else.

I wonder if it's the Radio Shack thermal grease...
I'll get some better stuff and find out.

if you applied it correctly - i.e didn't use huge amountes of it - then even as3 wont drop the temps by more than 2-3c.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

^^electical specs for just about every cpu you can think of. scroll down to the t/bird 1.4ghz and you'll see that it puts out 72watts of heat:eek:

there are only 2 amd cpu's that put out more heat - the xp3000+ and xp3200+ bartons. clocked at 2.1 and 2.2ghz respectively - THATS how hot those t/birds run.

To give you an idea, i would put anything less than a Thermalright sk7 heatsink on a cpu that puts out that much heat. Better still, an slk-800 or 900.

Wow. maybe it's time to upgrade to an athlon XP. I don't want to burn this thing up.

A sk7 with a 80mm 50+ CFM fan should be a huge help. Make sure you have some fair case cooling as you want to get rid of all the hot air the HSF will be creating to keep that TBird cool. As an added bonus you can keep a room rather toasty in the winter time. :)

The lesser sk6+ would do the job as well if you can deal with a fairly noisy fan.

I've got a case fan in the side of the case, and a turbine cooler in a pci slot as well.

You also have to remember that the T-bird temperature is read from the socket thermistor. So the accuracy of the readings can vary quite a bit from one board to another.

When it gets too hot, you'll know. It will simply lock up. If that starts happening regularly, back off your OC until it stops. Then upgrade to an XP, and use your T-bird to build a computer for a friend or relative who doesn't have one. They are dead reliable when not overclocked.

my non 0C'ed tbird runs 57* C full load, has been for 2 years now. the t-birds LOVE the heat... never had any trouble with the chip either. I did have it oc'ed to 1.5 ghz at one point in time, but since i got my 1700+ b, i leave it @ stock. so it should be fine

I just re did the thermal grease, and the avg. temp under 100% load has dropped from 58-60, to 49-52c.

james.miller said:
scroll down to the t/bird 1.4ghz and you'll see that it puts out 72watts of heat:eek:

And that's completely stock; with the vcore bumped up to 1.85V and the 170MHz overclock he's got going, it's probably pushing more than 80 Watts.

Back