• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VideoCard Vmod same as AGP Bios Volts??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boostin14PSI

I have read about doing a voltage mod with a pencil for the gpu and memory. Is this the same as agp volts on my nf7 bios? If not what should i have the agp volts set to?
Thanx

is a volt mod worth it after upgrading cooling. When i say worth it i mean do the gains outway the price of a new card if you mess up.

i will have to see. The pencil volt mods seems pretty easy. Anyone had any exp. with this mod on an 8500le 128? Did you get any perf. out of it?

A "pencil-trick volt mod on a 8500 is..............well, tricky. The problem with it is getting just the right amount of lead to lower the resistence properly. All the guides I have seen suggest doing this with the card out of the machine.

But, In my opinion, while that may be safer in one respect, it is very dangerous in another. You have no idea how many strokes, where, ect.ect...and risk a bad overvolt/dead core.

So, I did the pencil-trick with the card in the machine powered up. Yes, this is risky also, but with a VM, you can be very accurate and set the voltage exactly where you want it.

Even so, I killed my best 8500 doing this:( Pencil slipped a little and well, thats all it takes.

I replaced that card with another 8500(Sapphire). Seemed like a really good card at first 3.3 Hynix where my retail BBA had 3.6 Hynix. Thing is, I could crank the memory to 355, but the core would do nothing after the pencil VM. So I decide to do the full blow XBIT LABS VM. Only I used vr's instead of fixed resistors for tweaking. Well, this card just would not cooperate. So even if you do the VM, beware................it might not make much difference. That fact is summed up by the XBit Labs article from the beginning. I really thought that VM would have done something as the pencil mod only changes two voltage points, wheras the Full mod makes 5 voltage changes.

So to answer your questions,

-a pencil volt mod is not an easy thing to pull off correctly.

-You might get a 10-15% overclock out of it, but it's not a sure thing.

:cool:

ok i guess i will stay away from that. I am prone to screwing up my card. also 10%-15% may seem like alot in says 3dmark scores but in actual gameplay This is really not noticable.
Thanx

Back