• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody tried to RMA an AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hurk

Anybody tried to RMA an AMD processor?

Mine is retail. What do they ask for? How do they verify if the warranty has been void? Is it easy? What happeneds?

Thanks in advance.

Why do you need to RMA it?

If you used AS3 then you will want to clean the CPU very well since that is considered voiding the warranty. You also will want to make sure that there is no physical damage...if there is they will not accept the RMA.

I am sure that they will ask for the original box, the retail HSF and anything else that came with it. You may need a copy of the invoice from the retailer that you bought it from for them to accept the RMA.

The corner of the core has a chunk out of it and I have the heatsink and everything that came with it. THe person I bought it off of said it was working when it left his place, and he brang it here, and it's dead.

Gautam said:
They ask for the code on the fan of the heatsink, and a proof of purchase.

and i think they'll want all of the original packaging, at least thats what a guy from newegg.com told me.

Hmmm...should've noted that this was from an Athlon 950. Didn't think that it would have changed though... There should be a code somewhere on the heatsink or something, to prove that it came with one.

Huurk get in touch with the guy that sold it to you and tell him that what he sold you is DOA, and ask him for your money back or something...

I'm trying. He thinks it was me, even though, the motherboard came mounted with the CPU and heatsink from the seller. I reset the bios and same thing, no beeps at all. I removd the heatsink and noticed there was a chunk out of the CPU. I'm trying to get in contact with him, but he's not responding. I'm upset, but there's not a whole lot I can do.

I'd think they would see the chunk out of the core and I don't have serial number on my heatsink. I think it got rubbed off while i was cleaning it.

No, they wouldn't care. If the chipped core wasn't your fault, they'll accept responsibilty for it. Just give them a call, and explain your situation. They should be very reasonable.

For RAM all AMD requires now is the HS/fan and CPU. No more need for invoice or any packaging materials.

But your chip is a 950... it may not have been produced in a while and AMD could balk at giving you an RMA because it may be older than 3 years.

Do you have a receipt from the seller? If so call AMD and state that you bought a retail CPU and the HS wasnt mounted properly and it no longer works and the seller isnt being helpfull and the serial # was washed off by you. I doubt it will work but its the only shot you have.

Some core chippage is to be expected with AMD. Dont worry as long at the chip isnt huge you shoudl be ok. i would worry more about getting that serial #.

Also older retal HSs did not have a barcode merely a number printed on a silver foil sticker.

Back