• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chaintech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrawlerZX

sound cards help

is a chaintech CMI 8738 sound card any good?

Last edited:
it's less than 20 buckk so haha then what about a santa cruz turtle beach do they support EAX and EAX2? what about the creatice poit? like audigy?

CMI8738 isn't bad Hercules and other use them in their budget sound cards.

I believe it does support EAX and A3D but I'd have to double check if it supports EAX2

Save your money the CMI8738 i got one for 15 dollars it is the same chips they use on mother boards they use your cpu to run sound i got a old ASUS CUV4X-E P3 1ghz with it on the board and when i use it slows down the computer .Save up and get a better card get at lest a sound blaster live you can get a 5.1 ver at newegg for 33

hmm it uses my CPU? isn't it an SPU? what about quality and is live any good? it is quite old? wouldn't a santa cruz be better? just want EAX2 for warcraft 3 is it worth it?

yes the santa cruz is a good card but soundblasterlive 5.1 33 dollars and the santa cruz is still around 60 dollars if you want go to newegg and read the reviews I think they have over 80 reviews on each reading what the people who own the cards think might be good food for thought :)

hmm it is alot cheaper what features does it have caausee santa cruz has EAX 2. i'm leaning over to santa cruz and what is a good 4.1 speakers?

speakers......Hummm logitech Z560 4.1 thx certified 400 watts 139.99 good speakers alot watts and sound for the price the subwoofer alone has 188 watts :cool:

not meny 4.1's out their to choose from there is a logitech z640 5.1 it'll run on 4 channels its 65.00 with free shipping at newegg it has 70 watts of power and also if you want to go up to a 5.1 sound card santa cruz has a 5.1 or 6 speaker card for just 15.00 more than the 4 channel card that 65.00 & 75.00 so thats 140 for a card and speakers thats not bad but if you still want the 4 channel card these speakers will still work with them but will not be 5.1 surround sound

Back