• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harman Kardon Champagne SE - Most AMAZING Speakers EVER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HorizonXP

Registered
I've had a set of Yamaha YST-M10 speakers for almost 7 years from my first computer...

Walked into work this morning, saw boxes filled with Harman Kardon Champagne SEs, cleaned up, pulled a set out, set it up on demo to a computer, then bought a set on my way out of work. We were selling it for $229.99 CDN.

I'm listening to them right now. I've got em hooked up to my Soundblaster PCI 128 sound card, and they're absolutely SPECTACULAR! Well worth the $230, amazing bass, clear highs, great midrange as well. Excellent surround, I love listening to my MP3s through em. Don't game much, so haven't bothered trying them with one. But biggest selling point to me: Professional style look. The wood grain is what I wanted, 'specially for uni next year.

Tell me though, what else can I do to make em sound even better? And, what are your experiences with these speakers?

i got some with my dell.... im not quite as impressed as you, but i agree that they are pretty nice speakers, although i can't get much bass from them...

well your soundcard isn't the best in the world so if you really want to test the speakers you should look at maybe a turtle beach santa cruz or a creative audigy. or go all the way with an M-audio revolution. i have a revolution on my home theatre speakers and it's phenominal. i can crank the volume all the way up and not hear a bit of static.

second. mp3's are not very good for testing sound qualirty. maybe if something was recorded well initially and then was compressed in a higher bit rate mp3 than it'd be so so.

i have a Leann Rimes cd that i use to bench audio equipment. the last 2 tracks are just her singing amazing grace and the national anthem. it's recorded very very well and will let you know of any performance issues with the speakers. or if you have the new evanessence CD the track "my immortal" is very nice for auditioning sound equipment.

the leann rimes CD is called "you light up my life" if your interested.

this is of course my personal opinion but i am an audiophile dubbed so by a friend of mine in the car audio business. i scoffed at these pretty expensive amps one time and he's been riding me about it ever since.

BTW eclipse brand car audio amps aren't so great. a bit pricey for how well they sound imo.

I love the Harmon Kardons though Im running a 500watt amp and Home theater sat system hooked up to my pc. Only set me back 1400.00 but ya cant beat the sound :D

I have an absolutely stunning CD for testing speakers with; I'm not sure if you can still find it. It's called Timewarp, recoreded and mastered by Telarc in D/D/D. Absolute best fidelity and quality recording I've ever been able to find.

If your setup can survive the very first track at half volume without distorting, you've got a damned fine system. The disc is all "space music"; main themes from most all the big-name space movies / shows in the last twenty years. Original and new Star Trek, 2001 Space Oddysey, Battlestar Galactica, Superman (I don't know, don't ask hehe), Star Wars, a few others that I'm forgetting.

Last edited:
Well I am kinda partial to my Home Theatre Direct Level 3 bookshelf speakers and my Mirage B150 DUAL 8" sub woofer mated to my NAD C740 Receiver.
Not bad sound but a bit pricey. About $1350

I think my speakers cost me $20 :p

One of these days, when I get moved into the bigger place, I'll have a true computer-geek room. Complete with at least a set of $150 speakers :rolleyes: :D

My Z-640's arent to bad for the 65 dollar price tag.:D

Gonna get me a real home theater some day.

My immortal Darn good song. In fact I like the whole cd.:)

EDIT: I also recommend Hello(song 9) on the Evanescence CD for testing audio equipment capabilties.

Last edited:
Back