• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game stops responding after I messed with the RAM and fsb speeds.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

Game stops responding(no system lockup) after I briefly messed with the RAM speed.

My system is a 1700+ @ 2000, Abit NF7-S v2.0, Crucial pc2100(2x256). I had been running the ram and fsb at 133. Yesterday, I was playing around with the ram and fsb speeds running benchmarks at fsb/ram of 200/133, 143/143, 191/143, and 148/148. I decided to keep the speeds at 143/143 so as to not risk frying the ram by running it too fast. The voltage is 2.72, which is the default because this motherboard overvolts the RAM. This morning I started playing SimCity4, my main city(I have two smaller cities), and within 5 minutes the game stopped responding. The system did not lock up. I could still move the mouse pointer around and I was able to bring up the task manager and end the non-responding game. I then rebooted the system with fsb and ram speeds back down to 133. I went into my main city in SimCity4 and again it stopped responding within 5 minutes. In the task manager I ended it again. I went back into SimCity and started playing one of my smaller neighbor cities. I played for 25 minutes and it ran fine. I then went to my other small neighbor city and played for 5 minutes with no problems. I then started playing the main city again(12,500 residents) and within 5 minutes the game stopped responding.

I have not had any other problems with my system, although I haven't tried any other 3d games. I have been running prime95 successfully for almost 5 hours now. What do you all make of this? Could I have messed up the ram when overclocking it? Could one city in SimCity4 have become corrupt?

Last edited:
you may want to raise the voltage on your memory again, that seems to be a problem from you lowering the voltage. You won't damage the ram really if you raise it to 2.9 or 3. Unless you case temps are like 30*C+

Just a note: Sim City4 has known bugs. This may have nothing to do with your memory. Make sure you have the latest patches for the game and try turning down some of the video settings just a bit . . . Good Luck

you may want to raise the voltage on your memory again

I never raised the ram voltage. It has always been 2.72.

Just a note: Sim City4 has known bugs.

I never had any problems before, even with much larger cities.

Update:

I just played a 45,000 resident city I gave up on last month. I played it for 55 minutes and there were no problems. Maybe the earlier problem was just a glitch with that particular city.

hawkeye_wx said:

I never raised the ram voltage. It has always been 2.72.

I never had any problems before, even with much larger cities.

no no no.

You said you lowered it? I was telling you to raise it.. i know that didnt make much sense in that sentance though :p

Back