• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Homer

i need ur guys help..... i added nb and gpu to my watercooling loop. everything ran fine but when i powered my comp i was getting artifacts. so i pulled my card out and i noticed scratchs on the videocard board. so then i put a pci card in there and when i powered it up, it started to smoke. i quickly powered it down, checked the pci card and ram it seems fine. i ran the ram and pci card in another system and ran fine. then i started to think maybe the power supply went out on me, but i just picked my cousins power supply and nothing happens. it'll boot and i would see the cd-rom and cdrw light up once and then twice and nothing happens. also i get no video when i first boot it up. im not able to check the cpu cuz i only have one P4 system. so what do u think it is my motherboard or cpu? help!

you coulda shorted something? do you know where the smoke is coming from? should be a nice black spot on the mobo.

i dont know were the smoke came from it just started too smell and i still have the motherboard in the case. i didnt move anything but the videocard.

check it under a light see if the northbridge/southbridge looks discolored. this reminds me of my K6-2 in sig. it died bad it would boot then stop and basically sat there fans spinning but no life.

Edit: how deep were the scratches?

yeah thats basically what its doing. itll boot and everything but nothing happens. fans spin, harddrive and cdrom running. the scratches are on the videocard not on the motherboard to clear things ;)

i know but i am wondering if maybe something shorted on the vid card which damaged the nb since its the vital piece of silicon hooked up to the agp slot. how hard is it to pull of the nb cooler and check and see if the nb looks good. but in all reality think your mobo is shot. maybe check your cpu.

thats too localized to just be dust... hmm i'm at a lose. its most likely something shorted or got too much voltage heat up and went poof. or just a bad solder spot, another thing a capacitor on a modem i had to fix the wire got a small spot of corrosion so it heated up and cracked the modem was dead i suppose if it controlled somthing important same thing could of happened but with the consequence of frying.

ill just get another board and try too see if i can get my motherboard repaired.

anyone recommend a motherboard for my processor? also how does rma work?

Back