• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered some Z 680s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

I just ordered some Z 680s is there anything i should know about before installing/using? i heard about the hissing, but i think ill find a way to deal with that. (just got it from dell, 267, the deal ends today)

sweet deal

I've been looking at them also.

Post back after they arrive.

What kind of sound card do you have?

Friend got the Z-680's hooked up with digital lines man i got to say is wow his windows rattled no hiss i think they fixed that problem he had a gigabyte 7vaxp used on board sound but digital is the way to go with these babys

What a wate to use onboard sound with these speakers. It'd be like buying a 9800Pro and running games at 680x400

memphist0 said:
What a wate to use onboard sound with these speakers. It'd be like buying a 9800Pro and running games at 680x400

look people do what they want, we don't need to go around telling them what they need to do... and on some nforce2 boards the onboard sound is comparible to audigy sound.

@memphist0 im in the process of building my new comp (don't harve all parts yet)... i have an Audigy 2 (88bucks from office depot), but since i can't wait to try them out ill be trying them on a dell 8100 with a santa cruz sound card, which is pretty dern good too. :D they should arrive on the 24th free shipping:)

EDIT: hope i remember:eek:

He's not keeping the onboard sound he just spent all his money on the speakers :D but the 7vaxp has optical outputs it amazed me how good it sounded

I just hate to see hardware not used to its potential. I didn't mean to tell anyone they need to do something.

well i will offer my opinion because i have that board in my gaming machine...and i will have to say...the onboard sound sucks horribly.....but once your friend gets a new sound card with the spdif out....he will be truely amazed

stan03 said:

and on some nforce2 boards the onboard sound is comparible to audigy sound.

All of the nforce 2 boards have the same (fantastic) onboard sound.

I have an abit nf7 and an audigy 2 platinum and the sound on the nf7 in my opinion is better...thats neither here nor there though.

As for the z680's, you made a great choice, Unlike the klipschs it has dolby digital decoding already (with the other brand you'd have to spend $70 for their decoder).

As for the hissing and popping issues that people always talk about with the z680's, there simply is none, period. When the speakers first hit the market there was but logitech quickly fixed this problem. I have had my speakers for four months and the problem was fixed, i can assure you this wont be an issue.

The issues with the speaker wire however is not false. Not only are the wires too short but they are far too weak for such a nice system.

You can go spend $30 on some nice 12 or 16 gauges speaker wire, or you can go get some lamp wire for $10. Copper is copper, you wont notice much of a difference. Although make sure you get positive to positve and negative to negative. There have been issues with the amp pooping out when the wires get crossed and the volume is turned up.

I'd also like to add that you'll want to keep the speakers in 6 channel direct mode for gaming and movies (when using your computer, if you hook it up to a DVD player you'll want to use dolby pro logic 2). I also find that the best sound for music comes from the stereo 2x2.

hope that helps

-jag

that helps alot, im not going to worry about the wires, i only have 2.1 right now, lol, and they will be plenty long for my workdest:D about the digital wire, i have an audigy 2 which supports it, is it worth getting the wire since it does not come with the speakers?

This is a few days late but definitely get a digital output cable if your system (computer and speakers) supports it.

-Bobby

is there a big difference? Are they expensive? will radio shack have some?

yeah i want the 680's. I hope they will still work with the RCA spdif out on my M-audio revolution, because i wouldn't like to use the features just because i decided on a different sound card.

Back