• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

measurements for ATi Radeon 9800 PRO GPU...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

|\/|oDdiC(_)$

Well, im makeing a water block for my radeon, and was wondering if anyone could give me the dimensions for the chip, and how big i should make my block. Thanks in advance :D

Do you have the card yet? Your sig, which has been shortened quite nicely good job, says you have it.

Um... dang I think it should be the same for any of the cards based on the r300 core.

yes i have it :) i just dont really want to mess around with it until i have the block and am ready to put it on :) And, your saying that any R300 card will have the same measurements?

hmm, ill just buy a 9500 or 9600, then take off the heatsink and such, then measure it, THEN RETURN IT TO BEST BUY! lol.
the 9500, its a R300 core, right? or is it only the 9200, 9600, adn the 9800's?

I think you would wast less time just doing it with your 9800...

the 9200 is the r200....its a 9000 with 8x agp. A 9600 is the one with a .13micron process... totally different Core.

The 9500, 9700, and 9800 are all using the same basic core. Except the 9800 has new hyperzIII and other new efficiency upgrades, but still same core. The 9800pro 256 is longer... has more capacitors so its like 1/2 inch longer than the 9800pro, which is a little bit longer than the 9700. But that should matter when it comes to mounting a Waterblock.

yes, but if i mess up, adn my 9800 dies, im screwed, but if the 9600 dies, i jsut take it back and say it wasnt working when i got it, just have to make sure that i buy an "opened box" lol

::edit:: its not like ill mess up for sure, but when u spend 700 CDN on a card, you dont want to take any risks, right?::

Thats unethical, its in your best interest to keep that stuff to yourself. Maybe you can buy a broken 9700 or 9500 on ebay and test out anything you want.

Or maybe someone here or a website someone knows has the info you need.. so wait until then im sure someone can help you in that respect.

If you really think your going to mess your card up... then why would you even consider a waterblock? I mean... you still might screw it up doing the waterblock, I think taking measurements is the least of your worries.

unethical? lol, what, you work for Best Buy? they already make enough money, and its not like im gonna break it (on purpose), i have a decent reason..."and ill just buy it, and say i didnt like the performance with it... Some people (like my parents say thats a stupid idea and i shouldnt do it cause ill feel bad, but to tell u the truth, i never feel bad when i do stuff like that. Call me a bad person, but it just dosent bother me.... Sorry, back to topic :) Now, the 9500 is a R300 based core? I thought that the cards that ATi released this year (the 9200 9600 and the 9800 were all based on the R300 core, but i guess i was wrong .

IR1 said:
If you really think your going to mess your card up... then why would you even consider a waterblock? I mean... you still might screw it up doing the waterblock, I think taking measurements is the least of your worries.

you know what, youre right... But i want to overclock my card, and cool it since the DDRII mem gets so hot, thats why im doing watercooling. Ill put on a block, ill just take forever to make sure nothing goes wrong. If you were in my shoes, id think u feel the same way...

just for youre sake, ill wait for a bit so someone can help me with this thread, then if no-one answers with useful info, ill THEN try to get my friends Radeon 9500 pro from him and measure, and if that dosent work, then ill try my idea.

unethical? lol, what, you work for Best Buy? they already make enough money

No I dont work for Best Buy. They have good deals on occasion, but what I dont understand is peoples belief that because they have lots of money means its ok to rip them off.

That somehow when a company makes lots of money they are suddenly evil and we need to rip them off at every opportunity. Thats why I dont understand many peoples hatred towards Microsoft.

Im sure they would not know and you would get away with it. But it would bother me a little.

Anyway this is getting off topic...

Im gonna look around see if I can find a site with waterblock measurements and/or instructions.

Not to mention the fact that someone else, maybe even a fellow overclocker, might end up with the card that you experimented on.

Bad Karma Dude...........

Just take the heatsink off and check for yourself. It's super easy and there's really no risk of damage. It's not even glued on since they only use thermal paste. You only need to remove the two pins that go through the heatsink and PCB. I took mine off without even thinking twice about it. There's even a shim there to protect the core.

Back